Sunday, December 06, 2009

FiVe YeaRS oF BLoGGiNG

This week marks the anniversary of FIVE YEARS that I've been blogging. I looked at the numbers. And yeah, we all know I hate math, but there are 365 days in a year. Take that number times five and you get 1,825 days. In 1,825 days I wrote 1,186 blog posts. Now that's not exactly one post per day or one post every other day, but it's somewhere in between those two, right?

See I suck at math.

Anyway, I was talking to Mr. Manic today and I don't know where to go from here. I started a post earlier this week about how Tukey got really, really REALLY sick in the middle of the night, and I just stopped writing it.

It stopped being funny. It started being sad. When the stories start getting sad and I feel like if my kid was to read it and be hurt by me joking about him being ill in the middle of the night, well, that's when I need to rethink what I'm writing about.

It was the very first time I stopped in mid-writing to rethink what I was writing. It was an A-Ha moment for me. I couldn't post it. I knew it would be hurtful for him if someone read it and it got back to him that I had written about the incident.

So I don't know where I'm headed. I just know I've written this blog for five years. I know readership has greatly declined. That's OK. People get busy. Lives are lived. I understand that completely. I think I need some new direction. I need a new focus. I still love telling stories and want to share what's going on. Hubby suggested some new blog titles: Manic Milf and Cagey Cougar were two of them, but I'm not sure I would like the type of readers that might find me.

So we'll see. I do know I'm going to do the Third Annual Virtual Blog for BLood Drive this year, with some great prizes again, and I do hope you'll consider donating your blood the first of the year.
I'm not going away, just trying to rethink some direction.

Everyone needs some change once in a while. Even this Manic Mommy.

Five years is a long time coming.

22 comments:

morninglight mama said...

Five years is awesome! I've said it before, but I'll say it again- if you write it, I will come. (To your blog, of course!!) :)

Hope Tukey's feeling better!!

Bunny B said...

5 Years! Congrats!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

5 years. Wow! You get what, a paper gift? ;) I think FB and Twitter has done a number on blog counts - it's faster, easier to communicate on FB than to create a blog post. I know my blog is like an old comfy wife and FB is a quick fix mistresss. It's much more work embedding links and photos and such on a blog. K

Christine in NJ said...

Happy Anniversary & Congrats On 5 Years! And I'll say it again - I think you are wonderful!

pixiemama said...

It's OK - a lot of things change over 5 years. I know what you mean about stopping mid-post. I do that all the time.

Maybe you can just think of it as a standby when you really have something you want to share, something that's full-blown story worthy, as opposed to an FB or twitter note.

:)

March to the Sea said...

five years is long in blog world and I've seen most of the people I've followed via blogging move on..just got bored with it..which is sad.

Kate said...

Congrats on five years! I can see why your blog isn't the same now that your kids are older and everything. Whatever you decide, I'll still be a big fan. =)

Eileen said...

Are you going to cut me off? Where will I get my manic fix?

Jessi said...

Well congrats on sticking with it for 5 years. Give yourself some time and you'll figure out where you want to head with this place. Things change.

Swishy said...

If your blog was a kid, he'd be going into kindergarten. Sure, you think you want him in school, but then the first day comes and there you are, bawling your eyes out at the bus stop.

How's that for a metaphor? HA.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

ah, you guys are great, and all the best people are commenting--I've known you guys for so long, you're like manicamily!!!

And Swish--you totally nailed it right on the head you bitch! Perfect! I can't send my blog to school yet! LOL!

Working Mommy said...

Five years is a fabulous accomplishment!! Congrats!! As for what to post - it may hurt someone's feelings just a little...but you have to find the humor in life sometimes. You'll lose your mind if you don't!

~WM

Patti said...

Congrats on 5 years....whatever you decide to write about or call your blog, just keep us in the loop because we are enjoying the ride with you!

Shawna said...

Congrats Steph! I'm happy for you - you should be proud of all that hard work and fun. :-)

Denise said...

Congrats! :) That's awesome! I love your blog! :)

Reagan said...

Happy Anniversary!

And THANK YOU for the awesome discs! Ryan and I had a road trip to a Virginia wedding this weekend and gave them a listen- awesome!!

I'll definitely be with you no matter what this way comes! :)

Kirsten said...

Five years is WONDERFUL! And I second morninglight mama's words, if you write it, we will come. :-)

Amanda said...

Congratulations on keeping with it 5 years! That is impressive! I've only been blogging 15 months, but I hope to keep it going as you did.

Anonymous said...

Wish I had found you 5 years ago!!! I check your blog daily and am disappointed when there's nothing new (no pressure!!). Can't wait for the blood drive!!!

PS - My word verification is uncelsit....is that like babysit but with your uncle who can't spell? ha

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Thanks guys! I can't believe 5 years has past!

Annon--thank you for checking out MM -- especially fun to see that new readers come by! I do hope you'll participate in the Blood Drive -- it's such a fun event and saves a ton of lives!

DawnfromCA said...

You are a gifted writer and I KNOW I'll be in Barnes & Noble someday and see your book on display and I'll want to yell to everyone, "hey..I "know" that author!!" Seriously, I love your blog but I think it's healthy to step back and look at where you are and what you want to be doing with your time and energy. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Manic....sorry I forgot to sign my name in my anon comment....it's Shelley (SPepper22)! I did your blood drive for the first time last year and am looking forward to it again!