Sunday, August 05, 2012

Personal Stuff & Posting

Hi everyone, I haven't posted personal stuff on here in a long time, and I promise to be back to featuring books very shortly - hopefully by the next week. School is starting this week, we've just gotten back from vacation and also my 10-year-old son was recently diagnosed with epilepsy.

There has been good news to this as it's a mild form called absence seizures. His medication, which he has been taking for a month, has completely stopped those types of seizures, but last night he had a grand mal seizure and we had to call 911 and had to deal with the whole ambulance/ER situation.

His previous 'absence seizures' are extremely mild - most people don't even notice them. We didn't even know what they were for a couple of months. He just stares into space/losing consciousness for a few seconds, and then comes back - like he loses space and time momentarily. Finally, after we noticed these for a while, I googled, "Kids staring into space" and I had my answer.

When he was diagnosed, the doctor did say that there was a 70 percent chance that he would have a grand mal seizure at some point because of his condition. His seizure this time was the convulsing, scary kind and went on far too long - 2-3 minutes. It's scary for a mom to go through, but thankfully, it happened in the best case scenario - both my husband and I were home; in fact, we were playing a board game on the floor with Luke, which I don't think the three of us have EVER done in our lives.

He is well now, and we are prepared if it happens again, which we don't know if it will or not. We have another neurologist appointment on Friday, which was already scheduled. I'm so thankful for all of the paramedics, firefighters, ER workers and doctors who helped us last night. They definitely do not get the credit they truly deserve.

So, with all of this going on, and with school starting THIS Wednesday, it will be a big surprise if I get to feature a book this week. I will try my best, and if I do, it will go up on Thursday. If I don't get a chance to, please don't give up on reading Booking with Manic -- I do have SOOOO many books scheduled still, I just need a few days or a week to calm down and breathe.

Thank you for your constant support!

xo steph aka Manic




32 comments:

Joelle said...

Oh Steph!!!! I can't even imagine the fear you felt when this was happening. My prayers for peace and comfort and that Luke is able to continue living life to the fullest.

xoxo

Kelleyc said...

Thoughts and prayers going out to your son! And from what I've read on the comments on your posts, we wouldn't ever stop reading your posts! Take the time to take care of your family! We'll be here!! ( Besides, with all the great books you've given us this summer, I need time to catch up!!!).

EKB said...

oh I am so sorry for the scare with your son. I am sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way. dont worry about us we will always be here :-} you cant shake us!! Take care of yourself too!! PS the books have started coming already I won from you so thanks again!! So excited!

Dani In Chicago said...

Keeping Luke in my prayers, Steph! xoxo

Anonymous said...

How awful! Prayers for you and your sweet little boy.

Colbey J

morninglight mama said...

Wow, Steph, that sounds like scary stuff to watch your child go through. Much love to you and best wishes for this to be under control for your son!

Nanette said...

That is a lot on a mom's (and dad's) plate! So thankful your boy is OK and you have a DX and can move forward. Very scary, tho, and I send GREAT BIG HUGS! Dont' worry about the books and keep us posted!! Hang in there, Stephanie...it's all going to be OK. Keep taking those deep breaths.

Love from Alaska~ Nan XO

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! My best friend's daughter was just diangnosed with the same thing! She was 11 at the time, now 12. I know how stressfull this is. If you want her e-mail, let me know. She just saw a wonderful doctor (her 3rd in 4 months) and her daughter hasn't had a seizure all summer.

Allie

ncsuloges said...

Wow that is so very scary. I am really sorry to hear that. I have worked with two children who have had the absence seizures before but thankfully not a grand mal in my presence. I will definitely be keeping y'all in my thoughts. Hang in there!

jdstec said...

Even though you have changed the name of the blog to Booking with Manic, we know you are Mommy. Family first, always. Take care of Luke and yourself. We will be here when you return.

buttah said...

Many hugs and prayers to you and your family! We all know the importance of putting our children and family first, not to mention your getting your state of mind back to normal, but as mothers, do we ever have a state of normal?? Hope all is well, and get some rest!

Mary Jo Burke said...

I think you use to call your son Tukey. His adventures were always fun and sounded like my brother at his age. Good luck with everything.

Melissa said...

i'm sorry you have to go through this with your son. i'm sure it's as scary for him to lose control of his body as it is for you to see happening.
one of my friends has a daughter who has epilepsy. if you'd like, i can put you in contact with her.
good luck with everything!

keltban said...

Take care!! All the best to you and your family! I hope you get good news soon.

absolutahnie said...

scary stuff! hugs to all of you!

Leslie said...

You will always be a Mom first...no worries we will be here. Sending up a prayer for the entire family! LeslieGC

Becki**** said...

So sorry you are going through this. I know every case is different and do NOT mean to minimize but I remember when my husband's good friend at work was going through this with his son long ago. How the child kept having grand mals etc. And he totally outgrew it as the doctor had almost promised!!!!! Praying for this for you and yours!

Kim W. said...

Stephanie, so sorry to hear this. Hope you find a way to find some comfort.

My son, Logan, now 7, had his first tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure at 15 months old which lasted 40 minutes. He's had hundreds more, and absence seizures too (about 100/day at one point). When he was 4, he got diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome. Currently, he is seizure free, 2 years last month, and we're not sure how or why, as people with this condition shouldn't be seizure free the way he is, but we're taking it and enjoying every single minute he remains seizure free. And....my daughter, now 5, has non-verbal autism. I'm only sharing this because sometimes it's comforting to know that you're not alone. You never know what life is going to throw your way, but one thing is for sure.....you will eventually find things to be grateful for again.

Stay strong & email me if you ever wanna chat xo

Kim W. said...

Also!! Take care of your family first. We'll all be here whenever you find some time, however long that may be!!

Bridget O'Neill said...

We all know that your family comes first! I hope your son will be okay, I'll keep him in my prayers. Your loyal readers will always be here! Take as long as you need!

Bridget said...

Thinking of you. Sounds scary.

Iambtinrb

Emily Winslow said...

So sorry to hear that! It sounds very hard. Thinking of you.

Lindsay Elizabeth said...

I'm thinking of you and your family. I can't imagine how scary it must have been for you all last night!

DaphneSFL said...

Don't worry about books and contests, take care of you and your family. xoxoxoxoxo

Joani said...

Steph,
So sorry to hear about Luke. Thoughts and prayers are with him. Please stay positive, I have known boys in college with this and with their meds, you would never believe how well they did. Even played D1 baseball. Take care of your family and peace be with you during this time.

Reese78 said...

Grand Mal Seizures are scary! I'm a special ed teacher - last school year was my first year teaching and I had a student who would have a grand mal seizure at school about every other month. It was so hard to just sit there with him and feel helpless while we waited for the 2 minute mark to medicate him. I am thinking of you and your family and I hope you never have to go through that scary experience again!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Sending lots of love and prayers your way. Thank goodness you and her husband were both at home with him. Xoxo

Literary Chanteuse said...

Yes I have two sisters in fact Maria and Ida.

equinn726 said...

Stephanie, thinking of and praying for you, your son and your family. That must have been very scary for you all. Take care of yourself and your family and know that you have a lot of support and best wishes from your fellow bookworms!

susieqlaw said...

Thinking of your Luke...

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your son is ok - don't worry about books just take care of your family!

RebeccaE

The Book Chick said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!!!!