Wednesday, September 05, 2012

DARE ME by Megan Abbott

Winner announced HERE!







I love this quote from the book:

"There's something dangerous about the boredom of teenage girls."

When I first discovered author Megan Abbott, I hunted her down to see if I could get a copy of her book, The End of Everything. I loved it and then when her latest book came out, I knew I needed to read it too. Dare Me is a crazy great read that will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time you are reading it!

And, for those of us who ever thought we wanted to be on the cheerleading squad, after reading Dare Me, you might think, "Hmmm, maybe I'm kind of glad I didn't really do a hurkey and a backflip very good. Maybe I'm glad I stuck to the yearbook staff and the school newspaper. Less drama!"

Because man, these girls are … WHOA!

You've got Beth, the cheer captain, the one ALWAYS in control, who leads the squad, and then there's her best friend and follower, Addy, who does anything and everything she is told. And while this sounds like it might be a young adult novel, it's soooo not. Things have always been Beth says jump and Addy says, "How high?"

Until senior year when the new Coach comes. And everything changes. And that, my friends, is all I'm going to tell you. Except that this book has it all! Drama, crime, sex, friendship, intrigue… And also, I love Megan's way with words and descriptions and phrases -- she can turn a dark night into a fierce and frightening evening. She can turn a plain backbend into imagery you wouldn't have ever imagined just by the words she chooses to write. The verbs she chooses to describe the acts her characters take on are so telling, so revealing, they make the book come alive, so much so, that you feel you are inside of the book, living the adventure with them, and that can make for some very fascinating events! DARE ME is an exciting ride of a novel!

Here is the back of the book blurb for you:

Addy Hanlon and Beth Cassidy are the varsity cheerleaders all the other girls fear and admire, the unchallenged rulers of their high school kingdom. But everything changes when the new coach arrives. Cool and commanding, Coach French seems perfect in every way, a charismatic presence who overturns the girls' established pecking order and still manages to gain their fierce allegiance in the process.

Then a shocking event upends their fragile peace, and a police investigation begins circling in on the coach and her squad. As the girls' season moves towards its highly anticipated finale, Addy and Beth are forced to ask where their loyalties lie as they stakes grow higher, and more dangerous.

To win a copy of Dare Me, tell me if you've ever taken on a DARE or have you ever dared someone to do something scary? Last year -- wow, I can't believe it's been a year already -- I jumped off a waterfall at Fossil Creek -- it wasn't exactly a dare but my kids were going to do it so I couldn't have them all do it and NOT me! Of course, my husband chickened out!

If you didn't have a chance to enter to win ONE PINK LINE, please click over there to enter now. I'll choose BOTH winners later this weekend! 

And for those of you who asked, my son is doing OK - we are still trying to find the right medication for him. He had three seizures in the past month (one last night) - still scary but thank you for thinking of him. I don't want to bog this blog (hahah, bog the blog) down with all that bummer stuff--I want to get back to books! But feel free to friend me on FB if you want -- the link is at the top right under ABOUT ME, plus I always let you know when I have a new book featured via FB!

NEW TO BOOKING WITH MANIC?  

If you're new to Booking with Manic, thank you for stopping by! We love new readers! Some notes - If you're entering to win a book, please use an identifying name and it's usually a great idea to include an email, which I will never give out to anyone else. You can only enter once please. You'll need to check back here in about a week or so to see if you've won the book -- I will highlight the winner's name at the top of this post, or tell you where you can find the winner's name at the top of this post. Most books are supplied directly through publishers, publicists and the authors. Winners will receive books directly from the publisher or author within 3 weeks from the time you provide me with your address, unless I send you the book (sometimes I will). Sorry, but we can only ship to U.S. and Canada so if you're from another country, thank you for coming by to read and discover new authors, but we can't send you a book. Any questions on how I run the blog or suggestions on who you would like to see featured, please email me at stephanieelliot@gmail.com. Thank you for your support!

51 comments:

Carie Casey said...

hmmmmmm, i can't really think of anything. i did go skinny dipping once but i don't think it was a dare. there was a group of us so it was more like peer presure.

Carie

robynn78 said...

Get on the bar at Coyote Ugly in Nashville and shack my booty with the gals!

Literary Chanteuse said...

Nothing scary but I was dared to dance at a club in a cage. It was a lot of fun! No shortage of free drinks that night!

Margaret(Literary Chanteuse)

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

Hmmmm, for the most part I'm scared of dares, hell, I might have to jump off a waterfall or something crazy so I can't recall doing any dares.

sharn3960 AT comcast DOT net

Melissa said...

I am so boring, so I don't think I've done anything beyond stuff from truth or dare games. And I can't remember those.

Melissa A from CLC

Melissa said...

We played plenty of truth or dare at slumber parties when I was little so it was usually I dare you to prank call someone.

-tmd636

Unknown said...

I dared my son to go to Oberweis (local ice cream shop) in only his underwear and jacket in February. He did it of course b/c that's my boy.

I want this lippy book!

Nanette said...

I am sure I did something stupid "on a dare" but I can't think right now what it might have been. :) Please sign me up for the giveaway anyway....LOL!!

Thanks, Doll...YOU ROCK!! :)

Hugs, Nan

A.C. said...

I can't really ever think of any crazy dares I've ever done. I'm not that adventurous :)

your invisible pixie said...

I used to play truth or dare with a lot of my friends when I was younger...i think the worst was kissing! haha

Bridget said...

As young teenagers, we'd crank call boys, or ding dong ditch. That was about the worst of it.

Iambtinrb

Carol5814 said...

My first Scuba dive in the Bahamas.

Ally said...

Not since high school, and the boldest thing I ever did was jump naked into the neighbor's pool/

jdstec said...

none sober

ncsuloges said...

You aren't bogging us down. Thanks for the update and hopefully you will have happy news to share with us at some point too.
During a game of truth or dare, I kissed three brothers. haha
It was college, what can I say. :)

Mary Jo Burke said...

I have older brothers so I watched a lot of dares. Happy to report, they survived them.

Anonymous said...

i'm sure i did but can't think of any!

absolutahnie said...

anonymous above is me - no brain today...

Katie said...

We enjoy hearing about your family as well as the books! Continuing to pray for your son!

I can't really think for any dares but when I was wild I really did not need dares to do anything I was just crazy haha.

buttah said...

I was dared to ride the mechanical bull in a bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans...and I rode it like a BOSS!! HAHA!!

Leslie said...

I was dared to flash someone...I did it! Good times :) LeslieGC

Emma S. said...

Does eating contests with my friends count as a dare? My friends and I are a group of girls who are not afraid to eat!

Unknown said...

I was dared to bungee jump & did it. Scariest thing ever...but oddly I can't wait to jump out of a plane sometime. :)

Lizett34 said...

I know I have played a lot of truth or dare growing up, but I don't remember doing anything scary.

TinaB said...

I've never done anything scary on a dare! I'm too chicken!
Brannanflooring@aol.com

A Soccer Mom's Book Blog said...

A dare?? I am sure I have but now I can't think of any.

Charlotte Lynn
asoccermomsreview1@gmail.com

Bookaholic said...

"I dare you" doesn't work with me. But I had done some crazy things when I was younger.
Carla E.
pigsrcute1@yahoo.com

Krystal said...

Glad for the update on your son! I will continue to keep your family in my prayers!

I can't think of anything, but I'm sure I've done something! My dad is a jokester so whenever we were out in public there was usually some sort of a scene being caused.

kndyer

Erin G said...

I haven't really ever done any big dares, or dared anyone anything either. I'm boring :)

Tami said...

I was double dog dared to climb the neighbors tree when I was young. One trip to the ER and a broken arm later, I won the dare!

Unknown said...

I can't think of any dares, but I did dance on a bar once :)

BrendaL71 said...

I may have or have not done some unquestionable things because of a dare back in college but will remain unmentioned and can not be proven. LOL! Other than that, I don't remember be really adventures prior to that and less so as I got older.

Lilian said...

Nope, I don't remember daring anyone...except stand up and yell encore at a movie theater for The Hunger Games...my friends didn't do it. those chickens!

Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

Anonymous said...

I went skydiving, but I was the one who dared everyone to do it! I never did it again. Once was enough.
writeoncindy@yahoo.com

Jessica said...

I haven't ever done anything that daring. I wish I could think of something but I can't.

Thanks!
-Jessica M
walkingcorpse11@hotmail.com

Bev V said...

truth or dare in middle school. Not a very exciting life, but hey, it is what it is.

Bev (shaggy552 at gmail dot com)

Sherry said...

I really can't think of anything at the moment--I know my entire childhood was made of stupid things I did but I do not think I ever had to be dared or doubled dared or....

DaphneSFL said...

Yes, I've been dared to bungee jump at 2:00 am in Mexico. Best and dumbest thing I've ever done.

ludy2288 said...

I'm a pretty big chicken so don't have any exciting stories for this one

Luvschocolate said...

Nope I'm a chicken!

slm8803 said...

When I was a teenager a friend and I were dared to take a "trail" that went through the cemetery! We did and then even though we were following the so called trail we got lost and it was dark before we found our way out of it. Scariest night of my life and I refuse to go in that cemetery ever again!!!

Shellybelly43066 said...

Nothing comes to mind...

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

No memorable dares for me! But the whole cheer leading theme is intriguing.

Kim W. said...

My husband dared me to go to the grocery store with my hair styled by my then 5-year old son. So I did! I had about 25 baby barrettes in my rat's nest!

Marla W. said...

There's never been any "scary" dares in my life, just the silly ones. Run around the yard naked, drink a jar of pickle juice, you know - typical, idiot kid stuff :o)

I am VERY intrigued by this book so I'll be anxiously awaiting the winner announcement :o)

Ready To Be A Momma said...

I dared to completely up and change my entire life back in the spring. It was incredibly scary, but I have never been happier!
qweska8402

betsy_blixt said...

I honestly can't think of a dare I have done or asked someone to do. I know i played dare growing up but obviously was to scared of big dares. hha

bluestarbrite said...

I was dared to ask my crush to a dance, which if you have ever had one of those HUGE crushers, is a pretty scary thing to do. I did it and he said yes, though it didn't go anywhere.

Sslinsky said...

Probably something stupid in high school, but nothing sticks out right now.

Sarah

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Thanks for entering to win this book! Comments are now closed! No more entries will be taken to qualify for this book, but please check back for the next book being featured!