Monday, September 03, 2012

ONE PINK LINE by Dina Silver

Winner announced HERE!






Lately I haven't had a bunch of time to read but I was able to get to One Pink Line a few weeks ago and let me tell you that I zoomed through Dina Silver's self-pubbed book in two very short sittings. If you don't know by now, I'm very much drawn to accidental pregnancy stories, and the 'what happens now' and One Pink Line does not disappoint, especially because it brings the reader two perspectives -- the woman who gets pregnant, and then we get to read the story from the child who is born from that pregnancy, and what happens when she grows up.

It's a great book and it's also wonderful to know that another self-published author has been successful at paving her own way into the publishing world and making a name for herself!

One Pink Line was also a 2012 Winner of the 2012 Eric Hoffer da Vinci Eye Award for outstanding cover art!

About One Pink Line:
Can the love of a lifetime be forever changed by one pink line? Dina Silver’s tender, absorbing novel, One Pink Line, is the warmhearted, wry story of love, loss and family, as seen through the prism of one singular, spirited young couple who find themselves in a predicament that changes the course of their lives, and those closest to them. With heart, humor and compassion, this debut work of women’s fiction is certain to stir anyone who relishes a good laugh, can stand a good cry, and, above all believes in the redemptive power of love.

This unique, contemporary story gives readers a dual perspective. Sydney Shephard, a sweet-tempered, strong-natured college senior is young, in love with an exceptional man, and unexpectedly pregnant. Faced with a child she never planned for, she is forced to relay this news to her neurotic mother, relinquish her youth, and risk losing the love of her life. Then there’s Grace, a daughter, who believed she was a product of this great love, grows to realize her existence is not what she assumed, and is left with profound and puzzling questions about who she really is.

Spanning generations and every imaginable emotion, One Pink Line reveals how two points of view can be dramatically at odds, and perhaps ultimately reconciled. Simultaneously deeply felt and lighthearted, One Pink Line deftly mines how the choices we make are able to alter so many lives, and how doing the right thing and living honestly can bring unexpected, hard-won happiness. It’s a must-read for anyone who relishes a great love story, absorbing characters, and plenty of laughs along the way.

To win a copy of One Pink Line, share if you've ever been the recipient of a pink line and have an interesting story about it, or if you've ever had to help a friend who has discovered a pink line on a pregnancy test. OR any other pregnancy related story -- I've kept all of my pregnancy sticks, and will never throw them out. Have any of you done the same -- kept a pregnancy test stick? I've also had two people MAIL me pregnancy sticks to announce their pregnancies to me! Hahah! I know there are some infertility issues from some of you and I'm sorry if this is a difficult subject for you. I don't mean to bring up a sad subject, but this book is about pregnancy, and I couldn't think of a more relevant question. If you'd still like to enter for the book, please feel free to leave a comment stating that you'd like to enter but would like to not answer the question. XO to you all.

Also, if you're in Chicago and would like to meet Dina and a bunch of other amazing indie book authors, she'll be at this event on September 29, noon to 4 p.m. I'm jealous!!

Thank you for sticking around, and I hope to have a couple more books for you later this week!

NEW TO BOOKING WITH MANIC?  

If you're new to Booking with Manic, thank you for stopping by! We love new readers! Some notes - If you're entering to win a book, please use an identifying name and it's usually a great idea to include an email, which I will never give out to anyone else. You can only enter once please. You'll need to check back here in about a week or so to see if you've won the book -- I will highlight the winner's name at the top of this post, or tell you where you can find the winner's name at the top of this post. Most books are supplied directly through publishers, publicists and the authors. Winners will receive books directly from the publisher or author within 3 weeks from the time you provide me with your address, unless I send you the book (sometimes I will). Sorry, but we can only ship to U.S. and Canada so if you're from another country, thank you for coming by to read and discover new authors, but we can't send you a book. Any questions on how I run the blog or suggestions on who you would like to see featured, please email me at stephanieelliot@gmail.com. Thank you for your support!

58 comments:

susieqlaw said...

I have never been preggers but have always wanted twins!

Books & Reviews said...

My co-worker asked me to pick up a test on the way to work and she took the test at work and within seconds she got the pink line.

shopgirl said...

O.M...EFFING G! I Am the girl who is always praying for NO LINE WHAT.SO.EVER! And? ask my BFF HOW MANY times i've taken the test even just after a hot n heavy make out session! (I may be a little OCD...)

Tami said...

I'm crossing my fingers I never have to go through that :-)

Carly said...

I've taken a few tests. Never really hoping to be pregnant. I'm hoping to start trying in 2013.

Carly H

Terri said...

I have never had an 'oh no, I hope I'm not pregnant moment." I'm boring that way. When I was trying to get pregnant with my second child, my first period after I stopped using birth control was only one day late when I had a feeling I was pregnant. But with being fresh off the pill and only one day, I felt stupid taking the test. Instead I headed off to Disneyland and rode all the rides you shouldn't ride pregnant. A few days later, I took the test, and sure enough - baby on board!

An even better story is that my brother and his wife are pregnant with twins right due, due in October. They have been trying for over five years, so these babies are a blessing and I am one super excited aunt to be!

Terri M.

your invisible pixie said...

none of my friends have gotten pregnant but i have one friend who definitely was constantly taking tests just in case!

A.C. said...

We were in Hawaii two years ago on vacation when I got my line. I was sure it would be a no so I took the test and then set it down and walked off to do other stuff. A few minutes later I remembered to go check it and was shocked! I didn't keep the actual stick, but did take a picture of it.

jdstec said...

Good to see you back. I hope that means things are getting more manageable. My pregnancies happened pre-stick. I did get pregnant with my 3rd after a night of some wine drinking at a local Italian restaurant and we referred to our son as "Giovanni" while in the womb.

Ally said...

I have had three pink lines so far! The first one was definitely a surprise.

Mary Jo Burke said...

Hubby was out of town and I saved it to show him.

ncsuloges said...

Ummm excuse me? What is going on with you and your family? Can we get an update???
Anyways I have had a couple of scares when I was dating people I would really rather not father my future children. Should have been a sign I shouldn't have been dating them, right? haha

absolutahnie said...

never actually took a test but thought i might have to!

buttah said...

I have been pregnant, and I also saved my test stick! My little man is my one and only...after he was born, I began having hormone issues and have since found out that I am in early menopause which began at the age of 32!! So it was God's plan for him to be the only child for us!

Margie said...

My kids were born pre-stick, so I have never used one.

Anonymous said...

I got a pink line on a pregnancy test when my older son was only 5 months old. I totally freaked out but once I calmed down I knew that it would be OK. Now that they are 9 and 10, I can't imagine it any other way.

-Donna W.

Bridget said...

When I had my babies, you had to go to the doctor's to take a pregnancy test. But, with my first, we went together and then celebrated by going out to breakfast.

iambtinrb

equinn726 said...

I've prayed and prayed for the pink line, and have not been blessed.

Krystal said...

I have had two sets of pink lines but not really a good story to go with them. :)

I hope things are going well with your family and your kiddos are well!

kndyer

Melissa said...

I already have the book, but every time I've had the pink line, I've questioned it, even if all the signs were there. I remember the nervous anticipation of waiting those 3 minutes. My husband and I had a thing about the "Three's Company" theme song and playing it when we found out it was official. The third time around, my mom knew within days of me getting the results from the stick. I didn't tell her though, but she was on to me!

Melissa A from CLC

Unknown said...

No pregnancy here...but I did tell 2 of my friends they were pregnant & forced them to take tests. Good thing too, who knows how long they'd try & fool themselves into thinking that they weren't.

Lizett34 said...

Nope I have never gotten a pink line. Although I do hope that some day it will happen =)!

Denise said...

I started a new birth control a few years ago to combat excruciating cramps, and I don't know if I just wasn't listening closely or if my doctor didn't tell me, but on the new medication I would only get my period every 3-4 months. So that first time I didn't get it? There were pregnancy tests and frantic calls to my doctor!

-Denise F.

Melissa said...

I have been on the receiving line of the pink line and it was unexpected!

-tmd636

Emma S. said...

Thank goodness, but I've never been on the receiving end of a pink line!

Bev V said...

I never had a "whoops" moment. It took me over a year to get pregnant with my first daughter. Didn't save the stick, but the "circle at the bottom" wasn't completely formed. So, I was only partially pregnant? Naw, beautiful daughter, who is now 23!

Kim W. said...

Both times I was pregnant, I was trying to get pregnant, so no surprises, just pure joy! And I, too, have kept both sticks. Kinda gross, but I just couldn't part with them!!

For my 2nd pregnancy, I had my first-born give my husband a card when he got home from work, saying "I am going to be a big brother!".

Jessica said...

I've never been pregnant before and I'm still undecided about whether I want kids or not! I do know that I want to read this book though. =]

Thanks!

-Jessica M
walkingcorpse11@hotmail.com

betsy_blixt said...

I thankfully have never had to take a pregnancy test. However I have had to walk my friend through one over the phone, which is so much harder then in person! She had a one night stand that stressed her out so bad she was late with her period. Which made her stress even more. Turns out she was fine but it was the scariest moment in my life and a horrible thing to go through when you know you aren't ready. Even for a friend.

Kelleyc said...

My third child was our "surprise"! Even though I knew right when it happened, that line on the stick still freaked me out b/c my daughter was only 4 months old!! But all is good ... Couldn't imagine it any other way.

Hope all is well with the family.

bluestarbrite said...

I didn't keep the stick, but I took pictures of it, to contemplate putting in my scrapbook one day.

Sharon said...

Yep, I have about 10 + pgcy tests stuffed in a draw. I can't imagine parting with them. :)

Lisamarie said...

A few days before my 22nd birthday with my boyfriend (now husband) & Future SIL after a conversation over beers (not me) cause I hadn't been feeling well we venture to the local grocery store (candy bars, beer and pregancy test :) head back to the house take the test watch the line show up & my husbands face turn to shock knowing he was going to have to face my dad! Two years later a week before Christmans, I yell down the stairs of our house... Guess What!? All I hear is "Noooooo"

slm8803 said...

I've been pg once...didn't have to do an at home test tho. We'd been trying so the dr was blood testing me all the time...I definitely wasn't excpecting the call though when I did!!

Marla W. said...

I've had two pink lines - the first was a huge surprise and I definitely had my own "One Pink Line" story. We're still living it out and making it work the best we can. My second pink line was planned and our little family is the one of my dreams (though before them I never knew it was my dream...LOL)!

Tiffany Drew said...

I have been the lucky recipient of three pink lines, although only two eventually ended with positive outcomes, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

I have been blessed with two pink lines. With our second child, my husband had rushed out of town the day before to be by his sister's bedside - she was in a horrible car accident. I started feeling familiarly nauseous, so I took the test and got the pink line. I didn't want to keep the news from my hubby, but didn't know when he would be back, so I texted him a picture of our son wearing a t-shirt that read, "I'm going to be a big brother!". Fortunately, my SIL made a full recovery. My hubby says that text was a bright spot in an otherwise horrible week for his family.

Colbey J

Read Baby Read said...

Praying for your son, and your family. That is first an d foremost. Yes, I have had two pink lines.

Nanette said...

I got a pink line "on accident". LOL!! I was SO sure it was just food poisoning. :)

I still have that stick to this day and I will NEVER throw it out. I'm so glad there's someone out there keeping their's too!!

Heart you, my friend!! Nan

robynn78 said...

My friend asked me to get her a test, she came over, looked out the bathroom door, gave me $30 and said go get different kinds as many as you can get with the money.. low and behold she was pregnant just didnt want to admit it!

Literary Chanteuse said...

Don't really have any good stories to tell just had a suspion and I was right. Pregnant and happy both times!

Margaret(Literary Chanteuse)
singitm(at)hotmail(dot)com

Luvschocolate said...

Oh yes been through that 3 times, nowdays I'm hoping for the minus sign , lol. The only funny story I have is when we were telling my 4 yo son at the time that he was going to be a big brother, he promptly did a razz berry and said " no baby, I want a puppy instead" so when number 3 came along quite by surprise, we still owed him for the puppy, so we made good on that deal. I don't suggest having a new baby, housebreaking a puppy and potty training a 2 yo all at the same time.

Coleen said...

My friend from work was not feeling so good and so I talked her into taking a pregnancy test and low and behold she was pregnant....all the symptoms she was describing to me I was feeling so she then talked me into taking a test...I was pregnant too!! Sadly, I suffered a miscarriage a few weeks later but will always have a special bond with her since we were pregnant together for a little while. We were due 2 weeks apart...her son will be 3 this year!!

Carie Casey said...

my first pregnancy i took a test and it was positive so my husband and i went immediately to the store and bought 4 more test just to make sure.

Carie

Leslie said...

I've had the pink line twice. Both were planned but the first one did happen quicker than I thought possible. My boss at work told me to buy a test on the way home and call her afterwards...she was right! LeslieGC

TinaB said...

Ive been the recipient of the pink line twice!
Brannanflooring@aol.com

A Soccer Mom's Book Blog said...

I have had the pink line 2 times! Thrilled with both! PST.. One Pink Line is on my wish list also!

Charlotte Lynn
asoccermomsreview1@gmail.com

Bookaholic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bookaholic said...

I'm working on getting a pink line...

PIGSRCUTE1@YAHOO.COM
CARLA E.

Erin G said...

I have kept the sticks from all 3 of my kids. We're hoping to move soon, and I'm wondering if I'm really going to pack them up to take along!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even bother with the pink line but went straight to my doc who confirmed the pregnancy. Having said that, I just read an intriquing novel, Butterfly's Child, which might be an appropriately themed book.

Susan C.
Scoster1@ comcast.net

BrendaL71 said...

My daughter was a surprise so when I told my boyfriend that I thought I may be pregnant he was skeptical. So early one morning before day light I took the test and waited for the results very sleeply. I woke him up and told him I told you so. NO, I did not keep my test stick.

DaphneSFL said...

I've taken tests, and never had a pink line, thankfully :)

Shellybelly43066 said...

No sticks for me

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Only one oink line for me completely planned and wanted, but once was certainly enough for me!

Ready To Be A Momma said...

I've had the pink line twice and have yet to have any babies to show for it!
qweska8402

Sslinsky said...

I have gotten 5 pink lines but have only had two children....with the first child I took the test 3 times!!!!!! Good luck to everyone hoping and praying foe your own pink lines. :)

Sarah

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Thanks for entering to win this book! Comments are now closed! No more entries will be taken to qualify for this book, but please check back for the next book being featured!