Monday, October 19, 2009

DiVa HeaRTS

You all know how much I love my 10-year-old daughter, Diva (Of course, I have to remind you all that I have a daughter, and that she's 10 since it's been forever and a day since I've blogged). So, like AJers did in fifth grade, today is Diva's day to go to outdoor education with her class for an overnight.

Overnight.

Now, it was a little emotional to send AJers off last year, and I wrote about that experience here.

With Diva, well, she's my girl, and while I don't think I play favorites, it just seemed weird to send her off. She was telling me she was anxious both ways - excited and nervous, and how she was going to miss me, and what if she woke up in the middle of the night wanting me. That kind of stuff - the stuff you don't get with boys. And yeah, I'm sure I coddle her more than the boys, but she's a different kind of person. She needs affirmation and attention (gee, wonder where she gets THOSE traits from?).

Anyway, she woke up this a.m. happy as could be, even saying, "I don't think I've ever gotten up on a Monday when I haven't been crabby." (Maybe we need Outdoor Ed EVERY Monday!)

She had her bags packed and I was taking her to the school for their trip (which is only about an hour away) and I had a good idea, which I think she and I had done before.

"Let's put hearts on our wrists so every time you see it, you know I'm thinking of you, and every time I see mine, I know you're thinking of me! (I just looked at mine again!)

So, we Sharpied on two red hearts (when did Sharpie become a verb?), and smooshed them together like a heart/wrist kiss. On our way to school I told her that when she's 18, if she still loves me like she does now, I will take her and we will get matching tattoo hearts on our wrists. That's just in 8 short years. I kinda hope she would want to do this with me. Just me and my daughter, two wrist-hearts to remind us how much we love each other.

And then I also told her that after she has the real tattoo, if she ever gets pissed at me, she can always Sharpie a black line through it for a couple days!

So, Diva's gone to Outdoor Ed until tomorrow afternoon, but she knows I'm thinking of her and that I love her so very much.

Because of this:



Have fun Diva Girl!

9 comments:

Hally said...

Manic~ Being a teacher that has taken kids to Outdoor School, I can safely say: She is going to have a great time and miss lots but have TONS of stories to tell. But the wrislet love is super cute! Hang in there...

Dani In Chicago said...

So sweet! Love the heart tattoo idea. She'll be home before you know it.

Unknown said...

How sweet is that! But ya know, she'll probably turn her nose up at that in a few years, so enjoy it while it lasts!

msprimadonna67 said...

That is so sweet! (It made me a little teary-eyed, I have to admit.)

Maura said...

Sweet! :-)

jenn said...

What an awesome idea! I'd probably stick with the Sharpie version, but that's because I'm a big weenie about needles. :)

Michelle said...

Awwww, that is so sweet! While I'm never getting a tattoo, I LOVE that idea for you and Diva. I hope she had a great time!

Anonymous said...

AAAWWWWWWW! Nana wants a heart! Do my tattooed eyebrows and eye liner count for anything? LYMI!

Aspen Real Life said...

It is so important to connect with your children and let them know that no matter how far away from you they are you are always very close.

Boys are not that different from girls in that they never want to be very far away from their mothers.

I'm sure this changes as they get older but as it stands now my boys go through complete withdrawl the second they go to bed without a goodnight kiss and a story.

Followed you here from Twitter.