Friday, October 02, 2009

SeCoND GRaDe MaTH

OK, so yeah, here I am. And am buzzed. I acutally cooked a dinner fot he family, and yeth, if there's bypo's oops, typos then that's how it's conng gonna be cause I am buzzed. but I have a story to tell you about my youngest son Tueky. Oops, Tukey. And yeah, I'm typing with one eye closed. The left one is closed ...

So, Tueky Tukey is in some smart kid math at school and they had a word problem to solve that said something like:

OK, so I'll just write the whole thing down here now:

Nora, Irene and I found 50 cents on the playground. We turned the money in to the office (at least they didn't use it to buy crack!). A week later, no one had claimed it, so we got to keep it. How much money do each of us get if we shared the 50 cents equally?

OK, so we all know the answer is 50 cents divided by 3, right? Well Tukey is in 2nd grade and he was supposed to figure this out. The instructions also said to draw a picture or use numbers to help explain how you figured out the answer.

Well, Tukey figured out the answer and he said each person would get 25 cents.

Wanna know why?

He drew a picture of three stick figures, one of Nora, one of Irene, and one stick figure of himself. And the one that he labeled as himself has a note in a thought balloon that says:

"I don't need any money."

Bwhahahahah! I am keeping this sheet of paper on my fridge forever! What a smart kid--cuz he couldn't figure out how much each of three would get, he decided to take himself out of the equation!

"I don't need any money."

OK, and yeah, I'm pretty buzzed rigth now.

23 comments:

Kate said...

Genius! And I love your buzzed posts!

Mame said...

You can't divide fifty by three anyway, stupid school! (Note--they said equally, you can't divide a damn copper penny)

Smart son.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

No shit Aimee, I guess he is pretty smart! WFT is 2nd grade teaching them, to split a penny three ways? COME ON!

Mame said...

Okay, in hindsight, maybe it's two pennies. Got a bolt cutter?

Amanda said...

We all seem to be glossing over the most significant part of the post -

MANIC COOKED DINNER

I (ever the optimist!) assume you mean from scratch, peeling veg the whole nine yards?

WOW! Go Steph! I'm proud of you! :D

Well, we all know Tukey is a smart cookie anyway....

MaBunny said...

LOL, yeah, he doesn't need money NOW, just wait... hope the buzz stayed a while:))

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Amanda--the green beans were from a bag. The chicken -- I killed it myself! (I'm getting good at killing small animals!)

Stephanie J. Blake said...

2nd grade math can suck it.

We are in the hell of it also...

But the problem my kid had recently was this:

Tom works in a shoe factory. Every day he takes a cart around and puts shoes on it. He starts the day with one box of shoes and at every stop he picks up three more boxes. At the end of the day, how many shoes are on his cart if Tom makes 3 stops?

WTF?

Unknown said...

He should TOTALLY get an A for that one!

Michelle said...

Oh that ROCKS. You need to keep that one forever. And why don't I post buzzed? Why am I not buzzed, for that matter?

So what was his grade on that one?

Kristin said...

I love buzzed posts! :)

Miss you.
xo

Anonymous said...

re-reading your equally dumb and unneccessary buzzed post with the oh so funny typos the next morning you might have stopped wondering why you lost your writing gig

Amanda said...

Hey Anonymous! Is this the same anonymous that posted at highlandmadness? You are one unhappy person!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I love it when people are so unhappy with their own lives they try to find a way to inflict their angst and pain on others. Whatev.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

That's hilarious! Smart and admirably self-less! He's the kind of kid who won't stick you in a third-rate nursing home. You're a lucky mom!

The Stiletto Mom said...

Dear Anonymous;

Let's see your blog, shall we? Manic has FRIENDS, do you? Get a life and stop being a troll.

Lotsa Love!
TSM

PS: I will be FIRST in line when her book gets published...and I'll probably trip you.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

I hate these word problems. (Beside the obvious fault in tis problem.) They turn MATH into READING and penalize the kids who might be good in math but struggle with reading. The child spends 5 minutes reading and half a minute on the math. My Gianna (autism) is excellent in math, her language/reading/decoding and comprehension skills are far behind her math skills. These word problems turn homework into a nightmare for her. This style of math penalizes boys too - as they tend to lean toward math over English/reading.

Anonymous said...

Just to prove that not all anonymous posters are tools/trolls, I want to say that I liked the post.

Gotta disagree with Kim Rossi-Stagliano though. Don't think of word problems as a penalty on kids who are good at math but bad at reading. Think of it as a chance to use one of their strong skills to improve one of their weak skills.

Also, I'd much rather my kid have troubles with math than with reading. As kids get older, I think math deficiencies are much easier to fix than poor communication skills. So I'm all for using a math lesson to teach reading skills.

JODI said...

Cute. But, Tukey doesn't need any money now. Wait till week he'll be pushing down Nora and Irene to get there quarters...and he'll need what ever qyarters you have in your wallet too. lol

Grace Matthews said...

Too cute. I am surprised they would give him this problem. 2nd grade...jeesh that sounds a bit tough for 2nd grade.
I would keep until he is a teenager and then make him eat his words. LOL
Anonymous: your a reject!

My Two Army Brats said...

That's fantastic!

You're real and we like real. Thanks for being real Steph!

Anonymous is a moron.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Anon- I agree it's good practice - but it takes away from the math time - the brain energy and potential frustration of not being a good reader could sabotage the math. K

april said...

Love this! He IS a genius! And I love you!