Wednesday, December 29, 2010

SeVeN MoNTHS ToDay

Seven months today.

Yep, It’s been seven months since we moved. What have I discovered? Lots of things:

That I am open to change.

That a heart can break watching your children leave everything and everyone they have ever loved and known.

But that it can slowly heal. Although it takes time, and that they are slow to accept these changes and still remind me almost daily how much they miss home, miss their friends, miss snow, want their friends to visit, want to go to college in Illinois, don’t like their school (only on occasion).

I love the weather here after the sucky heat breaks. December has been absolutely beautiful.

We feel at home in our new home.

We have had a gazillion visitors and are expecting a gazillion more and are so happy that everyone wants to come see us.

I like talking to and meeting new people, and am open to discovering what people are all about.

I still miss my friends, and every now and then I will get a pang of homesickness, like today, when I was at Paradise Bakery, which is like Panera, I had some Black Bean Soup, I was thrown straight into missing my friends from home, who I would go to lunch with and always have soup.

I think cacti are really pretty. There are some purple ones that are so gorgeous. I really had preconceived ideas of what I thought it would be like here, and I was wrong. AZ, I apologize.

I still have the same resolutions here that I had when I lived in Illinois. Some things DON’T change.

I won’t keep those resolutions either.

I am worrying less about my kids, but still worrying about Tukey – he hasn’t found a group of kids to settle in with.

I am worrying about Ajers because there have been some cruel kids around; I don’t know if they are jealous that he’s come in and befriended some of the other kids, or that he came in and got on the basketball team, or what, but some things have happened that don’t make me happy. I have told him to do what Jesus did – turn the other cheek. Tukey said, “The butt cheek?”

Diva’s growing up beautifully. I’m watching her right now create a piece of art work in her class. She makes me proud. They all do. I’m learning that through the hard times, they’ll persevere and become better people.

I’m learning that rain in AZ is like snow in Virginia or other places where they get little of it – people freak and act erratically (and I just learned how to spell erratically!) when they are driving. It’s RAIN people! Good God, what will they do in snow?

I’ve learned that my kids loved swimming in a heated pool on Christmas Day (our neighbor’s, not ours).

I’ve learned that there are kind people willing to include a new family from Chicago into their traditions and into their lives and that makes my heart swell, especially during a time of year when it could have been a lonely sad place for us.

I’m learning that no matter where we are in life, that as long as we are together, and that we are raising our family in a way we believe in, and that we continue to communicate with each other, that everything will be working its way to fine.

Happy New Year. I hope 2011 brings you an abundance of health and happiness, because if you have that, everything else will follow.

PeaCe uP!

5 comments:

Barb said...

I can't tell you how wonderful it was to read your post and I truly hope that 7 months down the road I will be able to say so many good things about our move. We moved this week (yes, at Christmas) and right now I'm not thrilled with any of it. I am hopeful it will get better and keep looking for the good things to come.i

shopgirl said...

I too, am on the verge of a move - (in like one week!) I know I have a long road ahead of me and I can only hope and pray that it will all turn out for the best. Keep us posted on all the POSITIVE things about your move! I'm going to need it!! :~)

Stephanie said...

Barb--hang in there! And write down your experiences -- it really does help to go back and reflect! I hope you will all be settled soon.

And Shopgirl--where are you going to? Why do I think you are in NY? Best of luck to you!

Thanks to you both for taking the time to stop by MM--I keep thinking no one reads anymore, and you both have so much going on in your lives, yet you still find the time--THANK YOU! And really, I'll be thinking of you and if you ever need a shoulder or any advice, let me know--definitely DEFINITELY get doctor's records before you go, or Barb, call and have them sent to you NOW before you need them in an emergency! xo

Dawn from CA said...

I TOTALLY still read you! Just haven't been on the computer as much lately. I'm glad you have met some great people and are feeling more settled. I think it's completely natural that you would feel homesick at times. I also relate to your worry about the kids. (it's what we mamas do best..worry!) Things will fall into place for all of you. I wish you a fabulous new year and I look forward to reading whatever you post!

Melisa Wells said...

I knew you'd adjust! Keeping my fingers crossed for Tukey. I hope that you and your family have a wonderfully happy and healthy 2011. Miss ya!