Tuesday, October 11, 2011

FALLING UNDER by DANIELLE YOUNG-ULLMAN

Congratulations
Emma S!
Please email me at stephanieelliot@gmail.com so
we can let you know how you can get your ebook!


This is the second of four books in a row this week. Make sure to check them all out!



Falling Under is a fiercely intense book; it takes hold of you and demands that you keep reading. Danielle Younge-Ullman's debut absolutely does not read as if it were a debut - Falling Under is a book that takes reading to another level. This sexually intense novel provokes thought, brings brilliant artistic visuals to the mind, and will have you ripping through the pages, fascinated all the way through to the amazing ending.

When Falling Under debuted in 2008, I interviewed Danielle for BettyConfidential.
Here is part of that interview:

Danielle, what's the elevator pitch you'd use to describe your book?

Falling Under is an emotional roller coaster of a book about a reclusive young artist whose past starts to catch up with her when she falls in love. It's gritty, sexy and raw, with complicated characters and a wry sense of humor. The story touches on a number of issues - everything from the difficulty of having faith when everything and everyone you count on is falling apart to the powerful draw of inappropriate men and the use of sex to punish oneself for crimes real or imagined. My heroine, Mara Foster, is equal parts courageous and neurotic, and the book contains two interwoven stories, one in first person and the other in the rarely used second person.

What was the first moment of inspiration for you to begin writing Falling Under?

I don't actually remember the first moment, but my first attempt at a book (the unpublished one sitting in my drawer) was a rather frothy, fun kind of book with some deeper, darker subplots. In the end, it was those subplots I found most interesting and felt were my best work, so I knew with my next book I wanted to go in a more serious direction, though I really felt it was important to keep some humor as well.

Also, I wanted to write about someone who has the fears and anxieties many of us have, but multiplied by a thousand. So as I was pondering these things, suddenly I had a vision of Mara (my protagonist), young and vibrant and talented, but stuck in her house, haunted by the past and afraid of the future. And then I thought, what happens when someone like this falls in love?

Falling Under is really sexy and sensual, but in a very intense, good way. Were those scenes very difficult to write? 

I had a lot of fun writing the sex scenes, but it did take some effort to get them right. The sex in Falling Under is intrinsic to the story and to Mara's emotional journey, but I didn't want it to be gratuitous ...It's interesting - I find readers are coming away with the impression that there is more detail in the sex scenes in Falling Under than there actually is because of the way I use language in those scenes. I use rhythm and repetition and suggestion in a way that, I think, provokes the imagination - but after the initial set-up of a sex scene, I leave the specifics to the imagination. That is a tough balance to strike, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Mara seems like such a sad person, yet the reader roots for her and wants her to be well. Was she a difficult character to create?

Honestly, I think there's a bit of Mara in so many of us. We live in anxious times, and so many of us, especially women, live with a ton of worry and anxiety. I am a constant worrier and someone who can easily go to the worst-case scenario in my mind, so to create Mara, I just imagined someone with the same tendency but with a much more traumatic personal history, bigger obstacles. It really wasn't difficult to create her - she kind of just arrived.

I absolutely LOVED something about each and every male character in your book, from art instructor Caleb to sexy, curly-haired Hugo. Seriously, if I could take a piece from each of them and make me a man-sandwich ... Was there one you preferred out of the bunch, and if so, why?


I have to admit I have a thing for the more complicated guys in Mara's life - Caleb and Erik in particular. It's not that I think either of them is the best influence in her life or should end up with her, but I just enjoy writing those characters. And Erik ... well ... he started out as just sexy and a bit dangerous but became so much more. He is the one I cried over as I wrote.

Thanks Danielle for taking the time to answer these questions!

Read the FIRST CHAPTER HERE.

Falling Under is now in e-book format and you can win it here. You don't even need to have an e-reader--you can download the Kindle Reader app that works on computers, iphones, ipads, etc, and the download is FREE.

I absolutely fell in love with this book AND it’s unique title when I first read it in 2008. Tell me what you think would be a cool title for a book that you might write and you’ll be entered to win an e-book of Falling Under.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check previous book features to see who the winner is -- that's how you'll find out if you've won or not, and you can still enter if there's not a winner's name posted on the top and highlighted! I usually choose a winner for each book anywhere from 3-7 days after I post a feature!


Thanks for checking out the Fall Fab Giveaway – we’ve got more books coming your way through October. I'll be featuring 2-3 each week. At the end of ALL the individual books featured and given away, one or two lucky winners will win the WHOLE batch of the books.


If you’ve got particular questions on how the Giveaway works, check the ORIGINAL POST HERE, or feel free to email me! Thanks!


Good luck everyone! And I really enjoy your comments too!


Thanks for reading and being a part of this promotion! To find out all the details on how to participate throughout the whole promotion click the previous link!


I also blog at Real Moms Guide if you'd like to read some of my other work.


If you're new here, check out the rules and all the books at in the promotion HERE.

If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment and I'll answer it in the thread, or email me at stephanieelliot@gmail.com. It is always at my discretion to change things up, and because of some regulations, I guess I must say that the books I review are given to me by either the authors or publishers or publicists, and I am never paid for my reviews, and they are my own personal reviews, and you know what, because I'm here telling you this anyway, I will also tell you that I never review a book I don't like, because you know what, why waste my time, life is too short to read a crappy book! There.

66 comments:

LizzybethDJ said...

Not very witty but something along the lines of: Finding out what I want to be when I grow up: or how to spend your time when unemployed and a stay at home mom to 1 black lab.

Literary Chanteuse said...

A cool title I would pick is actually a quote from my 5 year old daughter which I just love " I Don't Speak Boy" (chick lit of course)

Margaret(singitm)

BRN2SHOP9 said...

Can You Hear Me?

Melissa said...

Um, I have no idea!

Melissa Rem

michelle m! said...

"don't panic, eat a cupcake"

your invisible pixie said...

"I Don't Know Anything...But Cookies Are Delicious"

Megan said...

"Idiots are global...and then there's Austin"
ID: Eloisepeaches

faithspage said...

"You're not listening are you?"

kyfaithw at aol dot com

Kristi said...

Spoiled Rotten!

Kristi Marie W.

Amy R. said...

"Don't You Forget About Me"... I like song titles. (this is probably already taken)

Coleen said...

"Can you hear me now?"

ps: i am so not creative that is why i take care of people for a living!!!

Ready To Be A Momma said...

I'm not very creative, but maybe something like The Journey From Maybe to Mommy.
Qweska8402

fourkidsmom4 said...

Do as I say, not as I do.

fourkidsmom4@gmail.com
Brenda Bargenquast

Jenn3128 said...

My title would be: If you ask me that one more time, I'm going lose my sh*t.

Joani 15 said...

A title that I am thinking would be good after the day I had would be "is there anyone out there not broken and if they are 22-28 female please find my son and break him of the habit of finding the crazy ones." Sorry needed to vent.

Nanette said...

When Life Gives You Lemons...Go Eat A Cookie. ;) Nan

Dani In Chicago said...

A name for a book? "All Because of Hannah" of course!

Terri said...

Transitions and Smiles

Terri M.

jdstec said...

the title of my book would be, "Pick Me". And by the way, Joani 15, we could collaborate on yours.

Ally said...

Does anyone remember Sammy?

It's currently in the works.
Ally N

Emma S. said...

When bitch marries butch -- tales from a maid of honor in a lesbian wedding

kathygold9778 said...

"Living the Dream"

kathygold9778

Bev V said...

She said 'what'?

MonaLisa said...

Not feeling creative today. How about STRESSED

ncsuloges said...

Drama Queen

buttah said...

"Why I Like Vodka" and I'm sure it would be a memoire!!

LynnBelo said...

"The Accidental Gypsy: Why it's ok to not know what you want to be when you grow up and other tales from the 'black sheep' of the family"

OR

"No, I'm not married, No, I don't have kids, No, I'm not a lesbian, thanks for asking (again), Grandma. Yes, I'm aware I'm almost 31 years old."

Denise said...

I would have to go with "Embrace the Crazy, It's Easier That Way"

Denise F.

Unknown said...

I Can't Even Get In Here!

Kimberly Russell said...

The Truth about Lilly Barnes

Katie said...

Dogmom

Katie in Indy

Jeryl M. said...

Life, Love and Everything In Between

jeryl.marcus@gmail.com

bernadette7 said...

geerbMy potential book title is top secret...hopefully one day you you can review it for your readers!

jennyjend said...

If This Is My Life, I Must Have Taken A Wrong Turn Somewhere...

jmndowning@gmail.com

Lizett34 said...

Sadly I have no idea what I would name a book =(!

Crystal said...

gosh MaNiC!! I can't even think up a blog title that I'd like to start my own! (and I've been thinking for a while...)

Girl Meets World

yes, as opposed to Boy Meets World. I watch it every morning before coming to work and I got nothing better! lol!

Got any blog title suggestions for me? :)

crystal717

BethC said...

I am not here to set a good example, I am here to be a horrible WARNING of things you should NOT do!

Anonymous said...

BLOWN AWAY ... after reading Danielle Young-Ullman's writing. I'm sure that's already a title. cindyinmiami Writeoncindy@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Beyond The Cubicle Walls: One Woman's Struggle With Finding Life Outside Of Work

Jezebel's Mama said...

Filling My Suitcase

Anonymous said...

LynnBello...I can't wait to read your book! Too funny!

My title..

Drama Mama

Colbey J

Carly said...

It stinks in here.

No reason. Sometimes it just stinks. =P

Carly H

Liz said...

Barking on the Inside. It's about my quiet excitable dog.

Lindsay Elizabeth said...

I need to lay down

Kimmi said...

A Memoir: My life as an accidental crazy cat lady (fueled by jelly beans, vodka and cat litter).

Sherry said...

Please remain seated until the ride comes to a...


Sherry V

BrendaL71 said...

My title: I won't even own a dog because of the cost and responsibility but somehow I'm a single mother.

Leah B said...

Hm... this is tough. My title would probably be "Tales From The Floor - My 16 Crazy Years in Retail."

Kelley said...

No idea! Not very creative!! :(

Kristi said...

No clue... I'm not creative enough to be a writer! But I do love my Kindle and can always use some more books on it!

Kristi Hooke

Anonymous said...

I would write a children's book called "The Stars are Beautiful".

-Donna W.

Dolly said...

"There Are Worse Things Than Living"

Susan @ The Book Bag said...

'Chocolate Will Make It All Better, I Promise'

Emily said...

"I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, then I got my first student loan bill - the true story of one idiot's "brilliant" idea to go to law school."

Emily116

StereoQueenBee said...

I think that mine would be "Too Young To Have Babies"

queenofcrunk at gmail dot come

Christina said...

How about: Why is Life so Hard Sometimes?

ChristinaL

IandSsmom said...

Well I'm not a writer so this is hard because I don't know what I'd write about. Probably a mystery so something a little creepy. Murder at Midnight- but that is probably already taken! Not to worry I won't be writing it anytime soon!

A.C. said...

I'm the least creative person ever, and the only thing I could think of would be "The Life of a Navy Wife" because it rhymes. Lame, I know :)

Erin G said...

Sleep

Not creative, but that is all I can literally think about right now :)

MamamicheleTN said...

"Life with Prince Thomas"- about being the mother to my son who has autism.

Melissa said...

"We'll Figure it Out" which is pretty much a memoir of my life.

The other one would be "Tales of a Pop Culture Princess."

Melissa A from CLC

Joelle said...

My title would be: No Fairytales, just reality. (a memoir)

I always wonder how writers come up with titles. :)

Melissa said...

I don't have an e-reader so please just enter me in for the overall drawing...really hoping I win something!! :)
-tmd636

Kim W. said...

"Just Go With It" would be my title....seems I've been coasting through life in a blur since having my kids and I've found it's just easier to have the attitude of "Just go with it".

Philly said...

Be Brave

-Philly5

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

THANK YOU ALL FOR COMMENTING! NO COMMENTS AFTER THIS COMMENT WILL QUALIFY FOR THIS BOOK! THANK YOU! CHECK OUT THE NEXT BOOKS OFFERED FOR THE FALL FAB GIVEAWAY! THANKS, MANIC MOMMY