Sunday, September 11, 2011

Why We Remember, Not Of Sadness

September 11, 2001 my third child was just nine days old. I remember very clearly thinking, "Why on earth was I having babies, bringing children into a world like this? How could I have a baby around all this horrible danger and pain and hurt?"

Last night, that 10-year, nine-day-old child and I snuggled up on the couches outside and the two of us slept under the stars, together, cuddled up, just the two of us, and talked til midnight. We snuggled and cuddled and I never EVER sleep outdoors, I am not an outdoorsy person, and the idea struck us last night, "Hey, why don't you and I sleep out here tonight, just us!"

It was a gorgeous night, around 75 degrees, and it's a gorgeous day today, we woke to a beautiful blue sky with puffy white clouds, and we saw each other this morning and smiled. My son, who was nine days old, ten years ago on the anniversary of 9/11, when I thought the world was collapsing and wondered how on earth I could bring children into this horrible place.

I know now why. There is good. There is good.

Wishing you all peace and hope with your families.

Here's an excerpt of what I wrote on 9/11 in my hand-written journal, before there was such things as blogs: September 11, 2001

Another book giveaway on Tuesday and I'll have the names of the first two books chosen by then too! If you haven't yet entered to win the books, go back to the past two posts and enter to win while there is still time! You've got until TUESDAY! You can also find the original post on all the books being given away here. Good luck to you all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post.

Stefanie

My Two Army Brats said...

My oldest was 2 weeks old and I remember thinking the same thing. I carried him with me from room to room that day as we sat in our home locked down on an Army base and unable to leave but unable to feel safe.

karen Doornebos said...

This was a gorgeous post...

MonaLisa said...

I was 7 months pregnant with my youngest and felt a lot like what you said. Nice post.

AisforRandom said...

I was 13 and I remember thinking I wouldn't not have children, the world sucked to much (two of my aunts were about to deliver and they were freaking out). I'm due on Oct. 10th.

Valerie Moore said...

GREAT POST. I REALLY ENJOYED IT.