Thursday, January 31, 2008

Tukey Talk

Curious George Cuddle Time


In the mornings after the bus devours Ajers and Diva and spits them out at school, Tukey and I have our own special ritual. I make him a sippy cup of chocolate milk (I KNOW HE’S SIX! I DON’T CARE. HE GETS HIS MORNING SIPPY CUP FOR OUR RITUAL), and we crawl into my bed and watch two episodes of Curious George.

Sometimes we lament when it’s a rerun. Sometimes we cheer, “Oh, we love this one! It’s the one when George makes a bridge for the chickies out of marshmallows, toothpicks and playing cards!” Sometimes, I close my eyes and pretend I’m watching while George gets locked outside the apartment and the man in the yellow hat hunts high and low for that darn monkey.

But still, it’s those early morning days, that half-hour of time that Tukey and I have just to ourselves, with the blinds shut tight, the two of us rolled up in all of the blankets, squished together like two newborn pups in a litter trying to keep warm. It’s so cozy.

The other morning we were talking and snuggling and I said, “Tukey, you know what we have in common that no one else in our family does?”

“What?” he asked.

“Well, when we both go to sleep, you and I HAVE to get all the way buried under the covers like we’re in a cave.”

“Yep,” he agreed.

We do. He and I bury our heads and our whole bodies and squinch up into tight little balls to bring in as much body heat as we can in order to fall asleep. There’s no open-armed, starfish sleeping for us. We’ve got to roll up nice and tight and warm to get cozy-sleepy. That’s just our style.

“And you know what else we both have in common that no one else in our family does?” I asked.

“We both have brown eyes?” he answered.

“Yes! You and I are the only ones in our family with plain brown eyes!”

We smiled at one another.

“And another thing!” I said, “We are THE ONLY ONES in our family who are RIGHT-HANDED. How cool is that!”

Boy, he and I sure do share some special things.

And then those brown eyes of his lit up and I knew he had an idea of his own. “I know something ELSE we both have in common!”

“What is it?” I asked.

“We both love to cuddle with each other!”


38 comments:

Lisa said...

That is to darned adorable. He sounds like such a loving little kid. Isn't it great when we find things in common with each of our children that we only share with them? And those special moments of one-on-one time with them is the best.

Kelli said...

How nice. I wish mine would sit still long enough for a conversation. hehe (they are only 3 and 1) so my time will come. thanks for sharing.

Moll said...

you almost make me want to have kids...almost.

secretmom said...

oh soooo sweet. I always tell my 4-year-oldson he can never get too old and stop snuggling me. I will be totally depressed if it ever happens I'm glad yours still continues to at 6! Maybe it will last longer than I thougt.

AutoSysGene said...

Awww, how cute is Tukey. Your kids sounds really great.

Catherine said...

"Amour et Tendresse" soft words which links forever a son to his mom. They can seem habitual, infact they're essential. catherine

Irene said...

Oh, that is just so sweet!

Heather said...

Oh - so precious!

TTQ said...

Dude I am so starting the Curious George time and sippy cups. I don't even care that I don't have a kid to snuggle with. It just sounds nice, I'll dress the beagle up..

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

TTQ--LOL, You will LOVE that time you spend with youself! LOL, cracking up!

The Gang's Momma! said...

Melting . . . he sounds like my BBE. He calls me his "gihlfwiend" and doles out hugs and kisses at almost every pass by in the kitchen. And makes Shaggy and Dr. Doolittle gag in the process. I don't care, I LOVE IT! Let the snuggling proceed :)

House of Jules said...

You're killin' me with this. SO ADORABLE!
Jules
House of Jules

Melisa Wells said...

My God, you are KILLING me with the cuteness of your children! STOP IT RIGHT NOW!

I can't handle it!


LOL: I typed that and THEN read through your comments and see that my sister and I are on the same page! hee hee

Anonymous said...

6 years old?? In the UK he would be in his 2nd year of full time school.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Melisa and Jules--I saw that you both wrote almost THE EXACT SAME THING!!! You sisters think so much alike!!! Too funny!

Anon in UK--WOW, they grow 'em up fast outback... oops, that's not in the outback... I'm such a geographical idiot!!!

Anonymous said...

Curious George is the best show for cuddling with your kids! It's also great for entertaining the kids while I exercise....

Anonymous said...

I am a cave sleeper too! I burrow completely in my covers.

Dawn said...

Awwww that's so sweet!

Terri H said...

oooooh,that is so special. I remeber when my son was was just over a year old,I would take him out for chocolate milk and fries after I got off work once a week. I love special time with my kids.

KATE said...

Awww, I just love those precious little moments with kids! How tender!
Tukey is adorable & I love that you two have some much in common! Sweet sweet little boy & Mommy!

ORION said...

This is so cool! Hey! Tell him I have brown eyes too...ask Tukey if he has sharks and turtles in his yard...

Karen said...

Awwww, I love it.

And incidentally, we call one of ours Tukey.

Tanya said...

That is just too cute.

Unknown said...

That is so cute it hurts me. All my 3 loved their Curious George animals. We call him "Georgie" at our house.

Now I have to go dig up pictures. :)

stewbie2 said...

Me and Clairey do the same thing, but watch good 'ol "Handy Manny."

thisbearbites said...

This is very reminiscent of a Saturday morn with Lilly and I.

Anonymous said...

So sweet. See, now I always think Little Bear is the most conducive to cuddle/nap time w/ my littlest. Soft music, no screeching, no funny voices. It calms me almost as much as Xanax. Ahhhh...Little Bear.

kay said...

so sweet. we love george at our house too. we like the one where they go camping.

i love hearing sweet stuff like this!! thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

O, I miss those mornings! LilBro and I did this when he was in afternoon preK. Alas, he's a 1st grader now and I leave to teach before the children are out of bed (daddy gets them onto the bus).

I'm off to check out your website!

Mary said...

me and my baby watch curious George every day too! She just loves the marshmallow bridge episode. We saw it twice recently. We peep peep peep at the little chicks.

We have coffee and a sippy of naked juice. It's a good half hour!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

So sweet. I hope you are writing all this stuff down.

I love the morning times with my two little men. They fight over who gets to snuggle closer to me. I find out what they are thinking about things. It's fun, until someone pinches, pokes or hurts me, then it is time to get up!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Colorado--I had to laugh out loud when you wrote:

"I hope you are writing all of this down."

Duh. I am--in the blog!!! LOL!!!

Seriously though, when I write a blogpost, I write it in a word doc first, because too many times I started writing it in the blogger dashboard and lost it, so now I know to do it in a word doc and save it.

I also copy and paste months at a time onto word docs from the blog posts to keep for later. Just something maybe you other bloggers out there might want to consider so your writing can be preserved!

Thanks for the reminder Colorado! : )

Andie said...

that is SO SWEET.

OHmommy said...

Awwww...

He will make an awesome husband one day. What a sweet boy.

Unknown said...

That's great, something to look forward too! Mine just started giving hugs before bed, either that or holding on for dear life before I stick her in her baby jail.

Cecily R said...

Tukey is such a cute kid. You're very lucky Manic!

AlaneM said...

Oh that is soooo sweet! Love those one on one convo's like that. I don't get them often but when I do I cherish them.

Four in Costa Rica said...

What a sweet conversation! Tukey sounds like a charming little guy. Enjoy your mornings together with George.