Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Yoga and Free Coffee

After yoga today, I’m checking out so I give the lady at the front desk my name so she can give me my ID card.

She asks, "Stephanie, were you in Hallmark magazine?"

“No… but I am a writer, but haven't written anything for that magazine.”

“Well, I read something that said your name and our city and something about yoga…”

“Oh yeah! I did give someone a quote about yoga and they must have published it.”

(Does this mean I’m getting famous?!?!? I'm getting recognized! Hahahahah.)

So then, I went to Starbucks with my friend. We just did yoga and we were feeling really charged, and my other neighbor had just given me a $25 gift card because I helped her out with her charming and cute daughter before and after school a couple times. So, I bought our other friend a coffee (because SHE bought ME lunch at Subway yesterday), and then I turned around and saw a guy waiting in line behind me.

“Hey, what do you want?" I asked him. "I’m buying!”

He was like, “You don’t have to do that.”

“No, I want to! Look, I got like a thousand bucks on this card! I’ll never be able to use it all, plus you don’t look like the type of guy who’s gonna get all fru-fru on me and order some freaked-out double-chunk-o-frappy-whappy-latty-blatty-triple-shot-o-venti-iced-frap thing are you?”

“No.” He looked a little frightened.

“So, tell her what ya want!” I said, pointing to the barrista.

“I’ll have a grande caramel macchiato?”

“Give this guy a grande caramel macchiato!” I yelled, like I was buying shots for a whole bar or something.

I seriously bought the guy his coffee! And it felt AWESOME!!! I hope he then went on with his day felt happier than when he walked into Starbucks, and I hope he then did something nice for someone else. There’s really something to be said for paying it forward! So, thanks to MY neighbor who bought ME lunch yesterday, and my OTHER neighbor who gave me the Starbucks card in the first place! Share the love people!

Oh, and you can also share some blood, for FREE! Click on the link on my sidebar to find out how to enter the BLOODY MANIC Contest which runs through February 14!

Or, just CLICK HERE!!

Peace UP!

27 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Hello? They published it? And you didn't get paid?

Monnik said...

What a great gesture! i'm sure free coffee totally made that guy's day. I'd be afraid to do that, though, I'm sure the dude would think I was hitting on him and he'd be all awkward, or worse - he'd hit on me back.

I'm still a bit undeveloped in my social interaction with strangers.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

suburban--I gave another writer the quote for an article he wrote, so it was only something I said! I haven't even seen it!

Monnik... he was kinda cute. I think it shocked him. I wonder if he did think I was hitting on him though! All grossed out in my yoga sweats. Ewww.

AutoSysGene said...

Wow, when you say 'pay it forward' you mean it. How come I'm never standing behind you in Starbucks?

I'm glad to hear you extended the blood donation contest, I think a little longer will give more people time to donate.

ORION said...

Oh I SO laughed at this- even though I'm recovering from the flu...
we are so suspicious when faced with kindness LOL

B. said...

You're awesome! I know that on the bridge I cross every day that costs $1.00, some people will pay $2.00 and tell the booth person it's for the car behind them just to be nice. Me? I zip through the far lane with my EZ Pass!

Tanya said...

Oh I like to hear stories like that. The other day at cracker barrel we gave our server a $13 tip on a $20 bill. It was fun, because I waitress too, so I know what its like. As soon as he got to the back he was all "I can't believe that two top gave me $13, they didn't even camp"

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Doesn't it just feel awesome to pay it forward. Same thing happened to me at Chickfila in Dec. I paid it forward the next day at the drive thru window at Mickey D's. Which reminds me....I need to get to paying it forward again. I think I'm going to make it a once a month (or sooner) ritual. Makes you feel so good. Next stop Starbucks to buy my next frap AS WELL AS THE GUY STANDING IN LINE BEHIND ME....In fact, I might even host a "pay it forward" contest on my blog. stay tuned. thanks for the inspiration Manic.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

My Hallmark magazine just came today! I can't wait to find your quote in it! It is a great magazine by the way.
Hopefully cute Starbuck's guy did have a great day today. That was very nice of you.

Melisa Wells said...

Will you buy me some Starbucks tomorrow? winka winka

Melisa
Suburban Scrawl
and
Remembering Ruby

Drewpy Drew said...

The funny thing is, that that is my wifes regular drink. It feels like you bought her one too.

Rock on.

xxxx said...

I love it! You're like my gas station rose guy!

Lucille said...

I've done the pay it forward too and it makes you feel soooo good. Once the person behind you realizes there are no "strings!" I've gotten some strange looks when I offer!

:)

onthegomom said...

That Rocks!

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

Manic...
which issue of Hallmark? I get that magazine - I just scanned the Feb issue and can't find you!!

I have like a 100 letter word-verify thingie...!

Anonymous said...

OOOH LALA!! Maybe you should start a new column some where - "Stephanie says..." that would be pretty cool. Good karma only works if you do it with no alterior (? can't spell for toffee!) motive which could be to make you feel good - you should do it to help the other person and for no other reason which I know is what you did. I'm haviing a sleep deprived rant day today!

blog author said...

poor guy...he'll probably never go into Starbucks again for fear of the over-charged yoga guru shouting out his fru-fru caramel macchiato to the whole store :)

but very nice of you nonetheless.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hey you guys, I think it was in like the October issue of Hallmark and if anyone does have a copy and can part with it, I'd love to see it. I don't even know what the topic was on... like maybe how to calm yourself, or relieve stress?

I asked the lady at the health club to bring it in... but we'll see? But it was not recent!

kay said...

way to get recognized!! i bet that made you feel like running right home and working on your new book didn't it! didn't it? you should! i want to read it!

appt for blood giving friday. be on the lookout for picture.

Crazymamaof6 said...

how fabulous is that? free coffee for an unsuspecting guy. and such a smooth lead-in to the contest! i mean good cause that i can't participate in but maybe i can finagle the hubby to. HMM there is a thought.

Unknown said...

WooHoo! for being famous AND for paying it forward!

Cecily R said...

It is one of my goals in life to be able to leave $100 tips. I would love that. Since Jon and I lived for so long on tips, it would be nice to pay that stuff back. As it is now we just pay 25%.

Love that you paid for the guy's frappy whatever in your yoga sweats. Rock on!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Cec--you freaked me out because you typed $100 tip!!! You meant 100 percent, right??? Can you imagine dropping 100 bones every time you had dinner, yeah, here's my tip!

Man, wouldn't THAT be granioso living!!!!

Now, I'm off to get my hair cut and colored, where I won't be spending THAT much for a tip... but shoot, those colors and cuts are expensive!!!!!!!!!

Dawn said...

Very nice! It's like that Liberty Mutual commercial http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iw97CfZtyGw I love that!
And I get Hallmark magazine. I'll check for your quote, scan it, and send it to you. I have an article coming out in the June/July issue!Oh yeah - you have to get your hair colored the same way, Stephanie, or we won't match!

Unknown said...

OMGosh, you're so cute it hurts me!

You've inspired me to look for ways to pay it forward. :) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

How awesome of you to buy that guy his coffee! It does feel pretty darn good to do something nice for someone, just becuz!I I need to do it more often. :-) April

Andie said...

I'm a big believer in the whole "reap what you sow" concept.

Anytime you do something nice for someone, you'll always get it back- when you least expect it, ya know?