Saturday, January 12, 2008

Weightless Waste?

I feel like it has been a bad Weight Watcher day. I ‘thought’ it had been a relatively good week of watching points, and even had a stomach ‘thing’ on Thursday, which, in the world of Weight Watchin’ translates into “Yippees” and “Hurrays” because anytime there’s bodily elimination and loss of stuff inside of your body, that means, well, you figure it out!

(Perfect case in point: The week I met my Lifetime Goal back in 2002 was the week I puked my guts out in the front seat of my husband’s car while his employee and his wife watched in horror from the backseat. And some spilled on her. Yup, I know how to make Mr. Manic proud.)

But I did feel like this week had been a good, solid one, with no cheating, following the plan, being conscious of what I was eating. I am starting to feel different; even a few people commented.

I know it takes time. It took me 56 weeks after Tukey was born to take off 60 pounds. But today, when I stepped on the scale, I wanted SOMETHING, even a “point-oh-two” would have been gratifying. It would have signified a loss of something, but the weight today was the exact same weight as last week.

I know there are many things to consider: sodium, water-retention, blah-blah-blah. I know all of that. It’s just a little bit discouraging.

But not discouraging enough to get me to stick my head into the deep-freeze and mow through ten cartons of Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby. As if. Not that freaking discouraged! No way. Plus, that would be really cold.

But really, since December 1, our neighborhood group of W-Watchers has grown to eight-women strong! We are calling ourselves: SKINNY BABES 'R' US, and it's beginning to seem a little cultish actually, and I think other women, like even seriously skinny non-weight-problemesque women, want to join in on our little club. Because we are making it fun!

We are emailing each other through the day, sharing little eating secrets, writing "STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO DRINK A GLASS OF WATER!", talking one another off the proverbial I-want-to-eat-the-whole-French-Silk-Pie ledge when necessary, going out for a Jared-Subway or Panera low-point soup and bread lunches. We are making it as much fun as we can have while we try to lose the flab.

So guys, if you all fail me on this blood donation thing, I think I may start leading my own Weight Watcher Cult instead. I'd much rather save lives by getting you all to donate a measly teeny little pint, but if you want me to focus my efforts on the asses of fat, well, so be it. I've got nothing much else going on.

So, I had a little bump in the WW ride. Hey, like I haven’t been through a million and sixty-five thousand, three-hundred, thirty-two little bumps in this ride to try to get published. What’s some more bumps? What’s some little weight-loss bumps? I have decided that it’s awfully, awfully hard and sometimes discouraging to focus on these three things at one time though: Writing, Exercise, Weight Loss.

I think I can focus on one at a time and kick ass on one of these three things really well, but here I am, the first of a New Year, trying to get all “Jiu Jitsu / Tai-Kwan-Do” on all three.

Quick story: This past week, I went to a Writer’s Meeting and they had some chocolates and cookies out, and I had some points left over and decided I was going to have two fortune cookies.

I opened the first one, took a bite, then read my fortune. It said:

You should not be eating this.

I ate it.

I opened the second one, took a bite, then read THAT fortune. That one said:

And you definitely SHOULD NOT BE EATING THIS ONE EITHER!

Obviously, the way my weigh-in went today, I should have listened to Mr. Confucius when he so wisely advised me not to eat the damn cookies!

But really, I’m not depressed, I use humor to deal with it – I’ll just forge ahead and hope for a better week.

Which brings me to some other exciting news!

I have another blind-blogger date! I have already had the good fortune to meet up with some wonderful people from blogland and haven’t been murdered, and I’m pretty confident this woman hasn’t the time or energy to kill me, so no worries there! Although, come to think of it, she might enjoy some jail time! A little peace and quiet!

I am going to be having lunch with a celebrity blogger and soon-to-be famous best-selling author on Monday and am extremely excited to meet this fabulously amazing woman and I’m sure I’ll have a fun recap for you Monday night or Tuesday and hopefully with pictures and stories to share! I just hope I can find something WW-friendly on that menu, which, I can tell you, Ms. Celebrity Blogger and I have already been cyber-salivating over the dessert menu!

Weight Watchers, Help Me!

Addendum: Another new favorite blog, shared by another favorite new blog: Does This Blog Make Me Look Fat? Check it out! It'll make you laugh your ass off! I hope it does mine anyway!

Peace UP, and yes, you may still spare a pint, my friends!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you. When I don't lose I just want to quit. But 60 pounds from before? Wow. That just proves you can do it. My sister and I are convinced though at 35 something snaps and it's SO much harder.

Hang tough Manic.

Anonymous said...

hang in there! you'll surely see those numbers go down. i wish i could join your Skinny Babes R Us group. there's power in numbers!

Anonymous said...

Ok Manic,
Thanks for my Saturday evening entertainment. I was going to put in a movie then decided to see how some blogpeople's (could that be a word?) weekends were going. I found a good comedy here with your French-silk-pie post. That was hilarious. Including the six-pounds link (my kind of humor).
Laughed my butt off.
Funny about the fortune cookies. I don't have the chance to eat them much (because I don't really like Chinese), but whenever I do eat them, I always end up thinking, wow, these kind of suck - why did I waste the calories?
Anyway, good luck with it.
KR

Val said...

I here you on the eating the right amount of points and not losing. Well last year (doing WW for like the 5th time) I was doing pretty good for about 6 weeks, I went in to weigh and had gained 5 pounds. How do you gain 5 pounds when you stick to your points. Sorry to say even though I had another 4 weeks worth paid for I stopped going and haven't been back. I do have a mailer they just sent me with free start up so I'm thinking about it.
Did the fortune cookies really say that? That is too funny!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

REbecca--Yeah, after 35, everything just goes to shit!

Kyra--I want the scale numbers to go down, and the blood donating numbers to go UP!!! : )

Karla--thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Means my Saturday gripe session was not a waste. Too bad I didn't blog about how I was ready to let the kids watch Hairspray at 10PM and Mr. Manic threw a fit. I'm such a softie to his disciplinary tactics. Blahblahblah.

3crazykidsmom--THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT SCALE!!! You should start back up again!

And no... the fortunes didn't really say that! My WW pal thought they said that too though, when I told her! I'm such a trickster! :)

Cecily R said...

Have fun on your blog date. I'm kind of jealous since I know who it is.

And don't get yourself down about the weight. You're doing great!

Anonymous said...

Well seeing as you have done FANTASTIC other weeks I thik you should follow my lead and do a graph showing your weight loss loosing 1lb a week and weight loss losing 2lbs a week and then you have to keep your weight between the lines - get it? Bet if you did that you'd be well on target!

Weigh-in on Monday....

HappyBlogChick said...

Good for you for keeping your spirits up. That scale will move. Stupid scale.

I'm with Amanda - charts help. But I just like to chart my own progress, then on a week like this I can look back and say "screw you, scale! You're toying with me this week, but I've dominated you over the past couple months! Sucka!"

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Thanks for the laughs!

I love the part about a little jail time not being so bad!

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Son of a nutcracker. MM, you are so funny. But, I know you are laughing through the pain. Hang in there.

Robin said...

Skip dinner and just eat the Creme Brulee, then blog about it s-l-o-w-l-y.

Please, for me.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Glad to hear from another lapsed Lifetime Member. I kept beating myself up for gaining back so much of the weight, until I finally went back last week and - no one laughed at me! I guess it happens all the time.

As long as I can fit back into that swimsuit by June, I'm good.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hey girlies--thanks for lifting my spirits!

And I used to track my weight on a graph all the time. In fact, I'll take a pic of my old graph, and post it later. It's true, the chart totally does help AND motivate.

And suburban correspondent: GOOD FOR YOU!!!! No one's ever gonna laugh at you at WW!!! It's such a supportive group!!! You must feel so great, and just think how great you're gonna look!!!

Patti said...

good luck this week with the meeting and the ww and the cultish club...

Kate said...

Hubby lost 7 pounds in ONE DAY and all he did was run 26.2 miles. Okay, maybe not something I would recommend. And he should have most of it back by now. I hope so since it was all fluids he needs.

I hear you--it's frustrating. I don't have much advice. We don't have a scale at our house since we're a little bit obsessive about things.

Have you taken measurements? It might help in addition to the weight numbers. In any case, you're totally my hero. Losing weight during the holiday season is impressive. This is just a hiccup and I love your SKINNY BABES 'R US!

ThursdayNext said...

I was also so good this week and went off the band wagon last night. Still, life is too short to kick yourself over an extra fortune cookie. :)

Roger Miller said...

I always just try to stay happy no matter what. Which means enjoying food, and lots of it. Unfortunately, it also means high cholesteral and needing to find scales that go up to 500lbs.

Don't let the scale's choosing not to move downward get you down, and go kick that fortune cookie guy in the shins - really hard!

L. Lemanski said...

This made me laugh!

"and it's beginning to seem a little cultish actually, and I think other women, like even seriously skinny non-weight-problemesque women, want to join in on our little club." This made me laugh some more . . .

I went out to eat tonight and ate the following: potato wedges with cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream, nachos (loaded), medium hot barbecue wings, peanut butter and chocolate pie. I don't do WW, but I know about points to some degree and am certain this hits the 1000 point mark. When my friend asked me what the heck I was doing (I did look like I was binging), I replied, with salsa and a hot pepper falling down my chin, "I'm breastfeeding!" I'm not sure if that explained it, but I'm using it gosh darn it!

L. Lemanski said...

Manic Mom . . . I forgot to add, you are doing AWESOME! You are successful when you DON'T quit. If you "screw up" at 4 PM, start right back up at 4:01 PM. My mom used to screw up on Monday morning and say," Oh, darn. I'll just start next Monday." Thirty some odd years later she's still starting her diet on Monday. Or, is it NEXT Monday . . .

Anonymous said...

OH THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!

It's Monday morning and therefore weigh in day - and in the spirit of on-line weigh-in I thought I should let you know - I managed to lose 1.7kg!! (3.75lbs to you). I'm chuffed to bits!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Patti-thanks for the good luck wish. I am hoping for a good week, although I am having a fabuloso lunch today!!!

Kate--I checked out your blog and GO YOU on the 1/2 marathon!!! Yippee--Everyone--want some inspiratio--check out Kate's blog--she couldn't run a mile this summer and she just did 13 on Sunday!

Thursday--Yep, I believe we have to indulge a little, or else we'll end up bingeing! And why does the word bingeing get to have that extra E in there anyway?

mylhibug--for me, I do want to be happy, and being 500 pounds would NOT make me happy! Being thinner than I am, that makes me happy. Wearing better clothes--that makes me happier. BTW, always wondered--what does the LHI stand for????

Laskigal--you had me CRACKING up with your breastfeeding reason for the potato wedges and wings binge! Loved it!

And I am a Monday-Diet girl. And hey, look, it's Monday!

Amanda--you really need to get a blog-I'm always so prepared to click on your name and wham! No blog. And good for you--3.75 pounds! Doesn't that sound so much more appealing than 1.7!!! LOL!

And what the hell does CHUFFED mean! (I think I can gather what it means, but still-funky word! THRILLED? EXCITED?)

And everyone, you do know, the fortune cookies did not really say that, right?

Anonymous said...

Manic I may yet take the blog plunge....but who would read it? The other thing I worry about is once it's "out there" you don't know who IS reading it unless they leave a comment. Hmmm to blog or not to blog, that is the question!

"chuffed" is a word with two meanings - to be chuffed is to be really pleased about something, but (your) chuff is something entirely more personal being a reference to either the front or back bottom!

Robin said...

Everyone knows that what the fortune cookie really said was "You should not be eating this-- IN BED"

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Amanda--If you blog it, they will come!

And hahah on the chuff--can't touch this!

Robin--Bwhahahaah! The first time I heard that fortune cookie little story was when I used to watch 90210 and Dylan said that's what you have to say after reading your fortune cookie!!! LOL!

Trish Ryan said...

If you take your WW club nationwide, I'm sooo in! I need emails that say, "Go drink a glass of water!" and kind friends to introduce me to the soup menu at Panera!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Trish--I might have to take Skinny Babes 'R' Us nationwide. My Blood Cause isn't going too well.

Today another SBRU sent an email with the subject line: SLAM A GLASS OF WATER!

Jess Riley said...

Hang in there, SE!! You can do it.

I am sending you willpower vibes.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Jess, screw the willpower vibes--can you just send me a laxative. I haven't pooped since Thursday! LOL!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Ooh, Jess, and I likey that your book cover is up on your profile pic!

Robin said...

Everyone knows if you are constipated you can subtract two pounds from your weight. You are officially wasting away.
It is in the WW handbook, I swear.

Moll said...

Oh - how frustrating. Sometimes it seems like there is little rhythm or reason to weight loss. But, your numbers will surely move (down!) next week...and if they don't, I know you will keep trying.

And since I want to be in your WW club now too (seriously, you have the best neighborhood) I am going to virtually participate right now. I am going to drink a glass of water and you should too!