Monday, January 23, 2006

Need to Clarify...

For those of you who know me, and remember six-and-a-half years ago, I did not miscarry that child in the previous post. So, in order to clarify, here is the following entry dated September 30, Wednesday, 1998--(please ignore the typos--there is a lot to type and I plan on making mistakes)...

How about this for an emotional whirlwind: I have gone through the last three weeks dealing with the fact that I've had a miscarriage only to be informed today through an ultrasound that there is an active fetus with a heartbeat growing inisde of me. Amazing, scary, shocking and confusing. Here is the story--

I went for an Ultrasound (U.S.)on Sept 10 when the baby was 6-1/2 weeks. The could not find a heartbeat and told me I could get a D&C or "follow" which means let it happen natural. Thank God Almighty Above in Heaven that I didn't choose a D&C because that would have been terrible. I am angry at the thought and wondered if I could sue for mental anguish.

Anyway, since I chose to "follow" I needed to get a quantitative HCG so the level of hormone inside me could be monitored so I would know when the miscarriage was complete. By the way, medical terminology is "spontaneous abortion"...

So, I go get a blood test on Sept 18, and I explained to the woman drawing my blood that I was there due to a miscarriage (MC). She told me she had two MCs then had healthy babies after, so that was reassuring to me. Here's the kicker: The same woman who drew my blood and knew I was there becuz of a MC called me with the HCG results. She said, "Congratulations, you're pregnant." I was very upset and reminded her that I was the one miscarrying. So that pissed me off.

Anyway, my HCG level was 56,000. When it is below 10, you are no longer pregnant. I continued spotting. After day one, it was no longer bright red but more like brown tar. The past few weeks I have been feeling rotten with headaches and nausea but I just told myself it was psychological. I had totally prepared to face a MC, and dealt with it and just wanted it to be over. I had to get another quantitative HCG 10 days later which was Monday, Sept. 28. I went to a different doctor to get the blood work done becuz the other one upset me so much. The test came back yesterday at 129,000. It was supposed to go down to indicate a MC.

I talked to Dr. P (gyne/OB) and he said the level of 56,000 should jump to 129,000 within 3-4 days, not in ten days so he had some concern. I went for a U.S. today and sure enough there was fetal activity and a heartbeat which Hubby and I could both see! It wasn't even an internal U.S. I was seriously prepared for a bad reading and now it appears (God willing!) that we are still pregnant! With a due date of April 30 (7 mos. exactly from today).

I am in awe and confused and will need to talk to the doctor tomorrow because the level of the HCGs concerns me.

Right now I have a raging headache but I am extremely thrilled and pray that this little trouper inside of me is a fighter, a healthy one. Amen. Please God, make this baby as perfect as Ajers and thank you for this incredible gift of life. I hope all is okay.

7 comments:

Mama D said...

So glad little Diva is here! I can't imagine how stressful that must have been for you. I think I would have gone insane. Since getting pregnant and having A I am even more convinced that my mental stability is standing on very thin ice.

Dear Jane... said...

ok, if you are seriously considering getting pregnant again, let me tell you my 3 horrible pregnancy stories, even more horrible 3 delivery stories and if that is not enough to scare you from ever even having sex again, let me tell you...actually, just email me. I don't think I want to post my reproductive business in the comments section...

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

No way, Jane, I am so done. Very done. So done, there is no bun that will ever pop into this here oven ever again!

Sorry your experiences were bad!

Jessica said...

Just found your blog and I really enjoy your wit and your writing...I intend to keep coming back.

The Dummy said...

I've never heard of something like that happening before. Who needs roller coasters when real life takes you on for that kind of ride!

Anonymous said...

glad you clarified!

did your brother (sil?) have their baby? she sounded ready to pop!

on another note, "sex and the soccer mom" is online!

Chrissy said...

Thank you for posting the follow-up! WOW!