Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Beyond

I didn't want to title this post DEATH, but my neighbor's father passed away this week. Her son and Ajers are very close pals and play together all of the time. I wasn't sure how Ajers would react to the death, especially because he had met the grandfather quite a few times.

It's interesting to watch a young child go through the process of trying to understand about death and the wake and a funeral and what it all means. The first thing he was worried about was if one of his grandfathers died too. I told him No, that both of his grandfathers are fine.

Today, he said to me, "Mom, I can't wait for you to die."

Um, okay.

Me: "Why?"

Ajers: "Because then I would know you're up in Heaven with God."

Me: "But wouldn't you miss me?"

Ajers: "Yeah, but I'm a tough kid. I probably won't cry."

Shit. I would kind of like it if he could at least shed a couple tears for his old lady!

And then later, we explained to him that Daddy and I would be attending the funeral service tonight.

His reply was one that I even had to share with my neighbor and her mother at the wake tonight.

When I told Ajers we were going, he looked up at me in absolute awe and said, "You mean you got invited!?!"

The awesomeness of our innocent children. God love them. God bless them! Mine and yours, and those to come. And say a tiny prayer for my friend and her family as they grieve the loss of their father and grandfather. Who I can tell was an incredible man just by the way his family is.

I just have to close this post saying that there is something greater out there and someday, we will all understand what it is. And an Amen too.

God Bless Ya!
xo
Manic

5 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

well at least your son thinks your going to heaven when ya die, thats gotta be a plus...right?

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Bossy Britches--LOL! It's only cuz he doesn't read the blog and know the truth about his mom!

Hee Hee.

Steve H said...

ajers rocks.

Anonymous said...

Kids are amazing aren't they?

Trish Ryan said...

Yay Ajers! It's amazing how kids get it :)