Thursday, October 05, 2006

Coffee Talk with Manic

Homecoming Queen and I are invited to friend J’s house tomorrow to view the episode of Oprah she was on. We drop friend J off at her home after yoga. This conversation ensues:

Homecoming Queen to friend J: Do we have to get all cute to come over?

Friend J laughs.

Manic: Do we have to shower?

Homecoming Queen: Do we have to wear makeup and put on jewelry?

Friend J laughs again.

Manic: Oh! And I’ll be sure to bring my Doonie and Bootchie purse!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Later, in Starbucks, Homecoming Queen and I see two neighbor friends, the same two who got the memo last week that it was DON’T-GIVE-A-SHIT-HOW-WE-LOOK Day. Today, apparently was ANAL Day.

Manic: Oh, your nails look nice!

Neighbor: They’re not real.

Homecoming Queen and I look at our chewed up nails.

Neighbor: I’m anal about my nails and hair. Everybody’s anal about something.

Manic: I’m anal about food. Oh, and I guess I could be “anal” about my hair too. See, it looks like SHIT!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ajers came home from school and didn't want to do his reading before football practice. I told him he didn't have to do it then, but as soon as he got home from practice, he would have to do it, and then he could watch NO TV for the night.

He gets home, takes his shower, reads to Tukey (from his new Bible, no less!), and then gives me a look that I know means he wants to watch TV.

Me: NO! Didn't I tell you NO TV if you chose not to read when you got home? Did you think I was kidding when I said that?

Ajers grins at me, and then says: But mom, you're an easy nut to crack.

Guess what? It was such a spot-on comment, and it made me laugh so much that he proved me right.

I am an easy nut to crack. Dang it.

17 comments:

BlondeBrony said...

Don't feel bad, I'm an easy nut too.

Your friend was on Oprah? That is so cool.

I would love a chance to be on Oprah to talk about parenting with mental illnesses. A few summers ago I was obsessed with the idea, but every attempt went unanswered.

Trish Ryan said...

Your children are reading to each other from their new Bibles??? Whatever kind of nut you are, it sounds like you're one heck of a good Mom!

The Dummy said...

lol, we all know she's a nut, but that's why we love her!

Jess Riley said...

"Do we have to shower?" is usually the first question I ask when I'm invited to leave the house. hehehe

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous your friend was on oprah she rocks!!! Wonder if she is like she is off of tV!! I think she should run for president...

and i too am a nut!! so lets be nutty together....

RR

Steve H said...

i think reading to your brother from the Bible deserves a few minutes of fairly odd parents...

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Hotwire--have you seen Mr. Meaty yet? On Nic?

Literally gives Tukey nightmares!

kim said...

I'm way behind on reading your blog -- was it a taped show you were watching? I caught the end of Oprah yesterday and it was about saying NO to your kids!

FYI -- I used to be "derphangus" if that helps you know who I am

xxxx said...

Ajers is tooooo smart! HA HA HA.

Monkey said...

One more "easy nut to crack" here, reporting for duty.

Anonymous said...

Which episode was your friend on last week? Does oprah still do her after show on Oxygen?

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

My friend was just in the audience of the show, not appearing with Oprah, and it was the episode with Gena Davis... not too exciting, but she had fun anyway.

1 plus twins said...

ok i have been gone for two weeks, why was your friend on oprah??

BlondeBrony said...

Because I know you like to have fun and enjoy a challenge, you've been tagged. Stop by for details.

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Oh my God, oprah. That is so freaking cool. I'd love to go see her one day. And kids are too smart.

JT said...

lets see here, I'm squirrel food and I'm easy.

Anonymous said...

Where are ya manic? It's been 5 days and I'm startin' to jones a little.