Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Few Things; Some, Men Might Not Be Interested In.

I have an internet friend who has just had her first book published (GO KJ!),Reading with Babies, Toddlers and Twos, and if you're looking for a great gift for a mom-to-be or a gift for that special toddler in your life -- a gift that will not end up in the back of the closet or in a million little pieces strewn throughout the already-much-too-cluttered toybox, then you should really consider getting this book!

I have to admit, when I first heard about a book that is a guide to reading, I was like, "What, come on? You get out a board book and you point to the pictures while your kid is on your lap smooshing goldfish all through your already dirty hair."

But I was wrong! This "Guide to Choosing, Reading and Loving Books Together" offers unique ways to read to your child, to interact with him or her; it suggests books for children curious about all different things. I had a great time browsing through the book and remembering, "Oh Tukey LOVED that book," or "That's the book that Diva 'read' every single day she was potty training!"

KJ is not only co-author of Reading with Babies, Toddlers and Twos, she is also a freelance writer and a mother to three very, very, very young kids. She's an amazing woman and writer who has the passion and desire and ABILITY to be so creative, and still stays so true to her first love--her family!

Since my kids are above the "Baby, Toddler and Two's" ages, I'd like to give my copy of the book to someone, so if you're the first person to post in the comments section that you'd like my copy, it's yours!

Now onto another thing--
Breast Cancer and Mammograms.

This is the stuff the men might not want to read.

In the past month, three people dear to me have had breast cancer scares, one being my sister. Mammograms for these women showed something not right, and fortunately, for each woman, a biopsy showed non-malignancy. I have to remember to be thankful for these tiny little gifts of salvation when I'm asking God, "Why are you doing this to the people that I know and love?"

Obviously we hear it over and over and over again, and we see the pink ribbons slapped onto everything these days from yogurts to batteries (I kid you not!). Maybe we see it too much we become numb to it, thinking it's just another reminder to do something we're too busy to do.

But, it's important. It's your life, the life around you, your family, your friends, your sister, your mother, your neighbors and co-workers. Breast cancer does not discriminate. And all you have to do to keep yourself in check from a potential life-threatening disease is get checked.

When I turned 35, I requested a baseline mammogram. My dear friend Kara had been diagnosed with breast cancer and is now a survivor, after undergoing I-can't-even-begin-to-tell-you-how-many treatments... she's had a double masectomy, reconstructive surgery that led to infection that led to removal of an implant. She had a ... I can't even stress how much she's been through, but my point is, it's a little test where your boobie gets squished for not even one minute. It doesn't hurt.

I've checked with my insurance and there is no age limit for when I can start getting annual mammo's and I've scheduled one in about two weeks, which I'm sure I will blog about after it's done. Maybe I can post pictures!

Anyway, keep yourselves safe. I guess that's all I'm trying to say. Please.

Finally, on that note, I'm going incognito for a few days. I'm taking some time to surround myself with my loved ones and sit on a beach and enjoy my thirteenth anniversary with my husband. I'm going to watch my three children run around in the sand, cry because the salt water's in their eyes, and fall into the best night's sleeps they've had in a long time, living on fresh air, saltwater, and sunshine.

Ahhhhh. I can't wait.

12 comments:

g. said...

I'm totally with you on the mammogram issue, I've been debating going for some time now but you made me think about it, so I will look into it this week...

And since I do have a two year old and another on the way, of course I would love the book !!! lol

g.

Anonymous said...

One of my best friend's mothers just died of breast cancer. It was a long hard struggle. They devoted her service to educating people about this sneaky disease. It is just so sad and random, how it attacks.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Gina--it's yours! Happy to send it your way, especially since you missed out on the Baby Proof Emily Giffin book!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Lynn, so very sorry about your best friend's mother. It is just such an elusive frightening disease.

cubmommy said...

I hope you have a great trip and we should get together when you get back!

Hey, check out Jodes at http://jodesmind.blogspot.com/ she is going to be doing the 3-Day Breast Cancer Awareness walk and would love some support.

East Coast Teacher said...

Enjoy the beach - I just got back and miss it like crazy already!

Kelley said...

Thanks for the book info-I'll check it out. I'm always looking for new and different baby gift ideas.

Anonymous said...

My mom had brain cancer. Not pink, not popular, but just as deadly if not more. Cancer is just scary all around...I will totally get my boobs squished for you :)

Anonymous said...

Women should get Mammo's as often as we have to get pap smears. Women of all Ages that is there are more and more 30's + being diagnosed nowadays with breast cancer!! Thanks for highlighting it even more.


RR

BD said...

Only way to learn is to read...

Anonymous said...

Hey, for a good laugh check out this Magazine Cover...

go to www.newtownmums.com.au


RR

Sugarmama said...

That's right, Ramblin Rose, pap smears, too. I used to assume that every adult woman goes to the doctor or ob/gyn or midwife or what-have-you for a check-up and pap smear every year, but know what? My 42-year old aunt died of cervical cancer just over a year ago. This was because she just didn't go to the doctor and get routine pap smears at all! They didn't fine her cancer until it was way too late ofr her. Cervical cancer is entirely preventable if you catch it early, and it's so senseless not to get checked!